NVIDIA Optimus On Ubuntu 13.10 Linux vs. Windows 8.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marccollin View Post
    except using bumblebee there are no other way to run an application on the gpu you want?
    What do you mean? Run an application normally on a bumblebee system, the integrated gpu is used. Run an application under primusrun (or the old optirun) command and the dedicated gpu will be powered on and the application will be run there.

With nvidia prime you can choose to use the nvidia gpu all the time. You can switch to the intel but that requires a reboot afaik (or maybe just end your session and restart x? Still huge PITA).

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
      What do you mean? Run an application normally on a bumblebee system, the integrated gpu is used. Run an application under primusrun (or the old optirun) command and the dedicated gpu will be powered on and the application will be run there.

With nvidia prime you can choose to use the nvidia gpu all the time. You can switch to the intel but that requires a reboot afaik (or maybe just end your session and restart x? Still huge PITA).
      i would like to allow the desktop to be rendered on an Intel GPU while certain applications are rendered on the NVIDIA GPU and piped to the Intel chip for display without bumblebee

Comment

Originally posted by marccollin View Post
        i would like to allow the desktop to be rendered on an Intel GPU while certain applications are rendered on the NVIDIA GPU and piped to the Intel chip for display
        This is exactly the definition of what bumlebee does. It also powers off the nvidia card when not in use.

So if you want to do it without bumblebee, go write your own project form scratch the does the exact same thing. Nvidia does not officially have anything comparable yet on linux.

Comment

...dynamic switching "out of the box" like found on Windows...
          I wish people would stop making this mistake. It's not a switchable graphics solution. You can utilize both at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by aigarius View Post
            At least from this test it looks like there is simply no point in even having an NVidia 620 video card in a laptop - the Intel GPU is almost as fast.
            In my experience using Bumblebee using either Primus or VGL, there's a serious performance hit using the nVidia GPU compared to Windows. There's something wrong with the drivers under Linux.

However, I can't test using nvidia-prime or by manually editing xorg.conf because it seems like the new features that support rendering using (only) the nVidia GPU under Linux with the proprietary drivers don't support my system.
            Last edited by blacqwolf; 17 December 2013, 08:13 PM.

Comment

It would be nice if you test it with Mesa 10.1, according to users/developers on the bumblebee IRC there is a bug in Mesa 9.2 creating a bottleneck. My nvidia card increased the performance under Bumblebee for about 29% after I updated to 10.1

Comment

when we test fps in games, who give a fck about energy saving? no, iam not idiot, but looks like you are.
                its faster than bumblebee, render is correct.

this test was about SPEED not SWITCHING GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
                  when we test fps in games, who give a fck about energy saving? no, iam not idiot, but looks like you are.
                  its faster than bumblebee, render is correct.

this test was about SPEED not SWITCHING GPU.
                  Except it wouldn't matter how fast it is when it's unusable in the real world. Genius.

Comment

sure it is, you even used it?
                    new version of nvidia-prime allows switch.

so stop insulting me and read more

Comment

Well, it has now switching support: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/12/more-...imus.html#more

This is for Trusty, but I've backported it to Saucy: https://launchpad.net/~joern-schoeny...prime-backport
                      (There are also packages for Precise, but the blob is still missing and it's not tested yet)

I can switch easily - okay okay, I have to log out and in again. But that's totally fine for me. Michael, would you be so kind and benchmark this, too? :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X