Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.6 Beta 1 Is Here With Fun New Features

Phoronix: KDE 4.6 Beta 1 Is Here With Fun New Features

Like Linux gamers, KDE users have a reason to be thankful today and that's because KDE Software Compilation 4.6 Beta 1 is now available. This six-month update to the KDE desktop stack includes revamped activities in the Plasma Desktop, major search improvements within the Dolphin File Manager, improved mobile device support, and Kontact is now based on Akonadi...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There's a small typo in the article:
    The final release of KDE Software Compilation 2.6 will come at the end of January.
    Should be 4.6

Comment

Originally posted by sevens View Post
      There's a small typo in the article:

Should be 4.6
      Oh it's not a typo. In a GNOME-like effort to avoid confusing users, KDE is part of a movement to have all software sport the same version. Since the kernel is at the center of everything, it only makes sense to use the same version number as the kernel, which is 2.6.

Comment

Originally posted by siride View Post
        Oh it's not a typo. In a GNOME-like effort to avoid confusing users, KDE is part of a movement to have all software sport the same version. Since the kernel is at the center of everything, it only makes sense to use the same version number as the kernel, which is 2.6.
        And somewhere in the future they will start numbering releases by the year number: KDE 2012 Pro \m/

Back on topic: Theoretically when everything in KDE is using akonadi one can use an external mysql server to store it's data. This should help when reinstalling the OS, or when there is need to have this information available in more than one computer. At least that's the main advantage I see in akonadi for me.

Comment

This can help convincing users switch to Thuderbird too
          I already did it and I think I will never use kmail again
          It just sucks too hard with IMAP.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

the activities thing (in other words: multi desktops) is just too unintuitive.

They should make it more intuitive like on mobile OSs

Comment

You don't need activities for multiple desktops.

Only if you want different widgets, background, panels, etc. on different desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                This can help convincing users switch to Thuderbird too
                I already did it and I think I will never use kmail again
                It just sucks too hard with IMAP.
                You're talking about kmail1 or kmail2? (second one is using akonadi)

I have had no real issues with kmail1 and IMAP, and I'm looking forward alot to the new-and-improved kmail2

Comment

Finally the old hal is replaced in KDE!
                  That was the last project moving from hal.

Comment

Originally posted by accumulator View Post
                    I have had no real issues with kmail1 and IMAP, and I'm looking forward alot to the new-and-improved kmail2
                    I hope they make a decent HTML composer. I don't have any real issues with KMail, except for the atrocious html composing support. If that is fixed then I won't be looking for a new email client since I really like the kontact suite.

Comment

Working...
                    X