Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment E16 Reaches Version 1.0.0

Phoronix: Enlightenment E16 Reaches Version 1.0.0

While Enlightenment E17 is still undergoing development, the Enlightenment E16 window manager has finally reached version 1.0.0. As Kim Woelders points out in the 1.0.0 release announcement, there are not any fundamental changes since version 0.16.8.15, but it just felt like it was time this X window manager reached the 1.0 status. Among the small changes that make up Enlightenment E17 v1.0.0 include exposing bevel properties for theming, an auto-shade window option, implement move/resize using keyboard, fix GNOME/E16 session startup with recent versions of GNOME, a pointer/screen warp fixes on recent versions of X.Org, a new font configuration scheme, new translations and other translation updates, and various other bug fixes and enhancements. The Enlightenment window manager can be downloaded from Enlightenment.org...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

E17 Release Information

For those interested, here are the todo items before E17 is released - http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Release .

The release schedule for the first release (alpha) can be seen here - http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/ReleaseSchedule .

Comment

2139 will probably be the year remembered for two things: First Contact and E17 final.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        2139 will probably be the year remembered for two things: First Contact and E17 final.
        LOL!!! I was about to say the exact same thing. E17 has been in development since I first started using Linux. I said that I would just wait until it hit stable (and maybe added a few apps) before I started using it... before I knew it we're in 2009 and I forgot the damn thing even existed.

And people wonder why KDE went ahead and dropped 4.0. True enough some people bitched about it, but at least they cared enough to do so. Mainstream interest in Enlightenment has died, been resurrected, and died again before it was even released.

Comment

E17 is the Linux version of Duke Nukem Forever

Comment

I'm a big fan and longtime user of E16 so this is cool news!

I also almost forgot about E17, even if I planned to migrate from E16 eventually. I used it on my old iBook but it was not an up2date version then, so I wonder how far along Rasterman and the team are now? Must check soon.

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
              E17 is the Linux version of Duke Nukem Forever
              Exactly, I was sort of thinking the same thing... or if you want: the Linux version of an ATI GPU working perfectly and full-featured

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                Exactly, I was sort of thinking the same thing... or if you want: the Linux version of an ATI GPU working perfectly and full-featured
                As an ATi supporter, I'm rather offended by that.

The Windows version doesn't work perfectly either...

(just having a sense of humor... I hear nVidia doesn't work perfect for everyone either...)

Comment

Not fair. E17 works better than ATI as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    Not fair. E17 works better than ATI as it is.
                    Can you please list the benchmarks you made to compare a window manager with a graphics card manufacturer / graphics card driver?

That sounds a little strange to me!

Comment

Working...
                    X