Soliciting Feedback On The New Phoronix Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
    The most safe and sure way to display ads is, don't use syndication. Ie. no third parties. Display your very own ads, from your very own server, ie, do the deals yourself directly with your sponsors.

As easy as it is for you to add a gazillion syndicated ads, is as easy for us to block them. From the most crude methods involving editing the "hosts" file to plugins, proxies or heavy scripting that would filter 'em out. Your choice.

I suggest you study personal computer history, ie: drm and copy protection; and see which in the long run caused most problems to which type of users. I think the game "Spore" should shed you some light.

A single self hosted STATIC ad will probably be acceptable, but dump us a lot of flashing thingies and you have a recipe for rebellion.

So doing the deals yourself, make sure that single ad is worth 7 times the syndicated crap. Problem solved.
    Easy enough, you should get sponsors related with Linux and open / free source software in general or related.

Value yourself accordingly producing quality articles and reduce the noise to attempt higher google ratings.

The more you lower the quality, the more likely we will go elsewhere.
    Exactly! Larabel complains it's hard to find Linux relevant advertising? He's out of his tree. If he can't find a competent advertiser he needs to do it himself and:

Cut deals with the various distros that offer services that generate income like RedHat.

Cut deals with the companies that sell Linux hardware both desktop and server at both the big names like Dell and the small like Ohava.

Cut deals with the Linux game companies like Frictional and DoubleFine as well as the game sellers like Humble Bundle, Valve, Desura, Gamolith etc.

Cut deals with the companies that sell Linux compatible hardware like Hauppage, Brother, Roccat etc.

Cut deals with proprietary multimedia creation software and hardware companies like Black Magic Design, EditShare, Arobas Music, Renoise, Modartt, The Foundry etc.

Cut deals with companies that make Linux software of any kind like Alwil, Mathworks, StataCorp, Wolfram, CadSoft, Bricsys etc.

Cut deals with general DIY companies that sell OS agnostic hardware like Ram, Cases, cooling systems, PSUs, SSDs, HDDs, Uninterpretable Power Supplies, etc.

Cut deals with the mobo manufacturers, try and not to burn bridges anymore like he did with Gigabyte. The days of having to check to see if everything on your desktop mobo is Linux compatible is pretty much over since the chipsets have been consolidated down to their respective CPU manufacturers. Long dead are the days of VIA, SIS, Alladin etc random mobo chipsets of various models with varying levels of support. AMD and Intel both do a damn good job of ensuring that their mobos will at the very least boot Linux with the bare essentials working out of the box.

Cut deals with the small time OSS hardware projects like ColorHug monitor calibrator, whatever they are now calling the KDE tablet, OpenPandora and whatever their successor is, and whats now become of the Neo Freerunner project which was the GTA-04 last I looked at the project and the many others projects floating around.*

I'm sure many here can point out tons of companies that you could hit up, this would also give you the opportunity to expand the site and review new types of software and hardware. I'm sure I've posted companies here that many on this site have never heard of, let alone knew they had Linux compatible stuff for sale. Theres money to be made and a chance to actually get people to willingly turn off Adblock if Larabel stops being such a lazy, whiny beeyotch. IIRC Larabel has stated before that Phoronix isn't a job but is in fact a buisness. Well guess what, a buisness isn't a 9-5, it's much harder then that, especially when you have to do with almost no extra manpower to delegate work out to.

If that doesn't work, maybe Larabel will be better off trying to be a less annoying version of the http://www.tequilawhisperer.com/

*Anyone know if anyone has plans to update the PCHDTV HD-5500 to PCIe? It looks like really good kit but is only in PCI, but their site unfortunately looks more or less abandoned.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
      If he can't find a competent advertiser he needs to do it himself
      That makes absolutely no sense, unless you want him to run advertisements for Phoronix on Phoronix and pay out of pocket. Also I'm pretty sure he has already approached several companies about ad/sponsoring.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
        That makes absolutely no sense, unless you want him to run advertisements for Phoronix on Phoronix and pay out of pocket. Also I'm pretty sure he has already approached several companies about ad/sponsoring.
        Thats exactly what we're calling for. It also makes perfect sense from a security standpoint since may mainstream sites have had shitty advertisers host malicious ads.

Advertisers also pay for shit, they are an unwanted middleman.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          Thats exactly what we're calling for. It also makes perfect sense from a security standpoint since may mainstream sites have had shitty advertisers host malicious ads.

Advertisers also pay for shit, they are an unwanted middleman.
          You must mean that you want the ads (what ever they may be) to be hosted on the phoronix.com domain and vetted by Michael, but obviously advertising for some third party...

Comment

He can use Google AdWords, they're non-untrusive text ads.
            Most people seem to be okay with them, its the big blinking colorful distracting flash ads with sounds and animations that people really hate.

Comment

I really don't have any problems with ads. I've never bought anything as a result from seeing an ad on a website, but I have clicked on a few of them to find out more. I think as long as they don't get in the way of actual Phoronix content, then they are OK.

I think placement is the real issue here. Ads placed in pretty bad places that do get in the way of actual content. Fix that and all is well.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Most people seem to be okay with them, its the big blinking colorful distracting flash ads with sounds and animations that people really hate.
                Google AdSense makes next to no money...
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Google AdSense makes next to no money...
                  And they sometimes do display "rich" media depending on your settings.

Comment

And they sometimes do display "rich" media depending on your settings.
                    It's still generally CPC rather than CPM, etc. I've tested it out and right now it's mostly used as a third fallback mechanism for ads on Phoronix and for small countries where there is otherwise no ad coverage from my other networks.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      Problem I and many others are not OK with anything Google.

Comment

Working...
                      X