Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma Next Getting Better Logos & Icons

Phoronix: KDE Plasma Next Getting Better Logos & Icons

The KDE Visual Design Group has provided an update regarding some of their icon and logo improvements being done as part of KDE's Plasma Next and KDE Frameworks 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks great. I wish the Gnome Team would accept some professional and polished icon theme as default like Faience or Numix Icon Them which seems to be the most active at the moment. Having a consistent look for the icons add a ton to the overall polish of the desktop. Not even Windows or OS X has that.

Comment

Aww...I love the old, colorful icons. It's one of the things that originally drew me to KDE. I hope the leave the old theme as an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
        I hope the leave the old theme as an option.
        I doubt they would, although it may not see as many updates in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
          I doubt they would, although it may not see as many updates in the future.
          You can easily install any theme you want in KDE. Everything is customisable in KDE

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
            Aww...I love the old, colorful icons. It's one of the things that originally drew me to KDE. I hope the leave the old theme as an option.
            I like Oxygen icons too. The team has assured, however, that they are making sure that users could manually revert pretty much any change they do. So Oxygen icons will certainly be supported, just not default.

Comment

I've got mixed feelings on this personally, feels to me like they're taking far too many cues from Metro which is a style I really don't care for, but it is kde so I don't have to worry too much on that since I can just switch it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                I've got mixed feelings on this personally, feels to me like they're taking far too many cues from Metro which is a style I really don't care for, but it is kde so I don't have to worry too much on that since I can just switch it out.
                The original concept of the new file icon theme felt Metro'y to me, but the current one looks fine.
                Yes, the simplification is also something I don't really like, but it allows doing nice things like setting icon colours depending on the plasma theme (so you no longer have to look for dark/light icon themes). And as you said, it's easy to swap out, so there's no harm.

Comment

as one who dislikes KDE look, this looks pretty damn nice

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    The original concept of the new file icon theme felt Metro'y to me, but the current one looks fine.
                    Yes, the simplification is also something I don't really like, but it allows doing nice things like setting icon colours depending on the plasma theme (so you no longer have to look for dark/light icon themes). And as you said, it's easy to swap out, so there's no harm.
                    I never actually had a problem with icons and dark themes, the problem I've always had with dark themes is font colors not properly following my settings, thus resulting in unreadable text.

Comment

Working...
                    X