No announcement yet.

Native ZFS Is Coming To Linux Next Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks Oracle missed the chance to show they 'love' Linux even more then they're claiming. The good thing they can do is to release ZFS under GPL, but now, this will be just about business and not about love.

Comment

Too much negative criticizing in the articles Michael Larabel.

Comment

I don't like these people who are making these claims. Aside from the fact that they are rude and arrogant, their claims have no real substance. Their licensing is incompatible. They may produce rpms of it, but not only can it never be included in mainline kernel, it can't even be included with a legit distribution, which means it will NEVER be a simple matter of "yum install zfs".

In addition, they make some SERIOUS claims against the viability of a fuse-based filesystem that are, quite frankly, FALSE. Yes, the zfs-fuse filesystem can be slow... on OLD KERNELS. The limitations that these problems are created by have been solved. zfs-fuse, when correctly configured, gives near-platter performance levels!

And going through fuse solves the majority of the licensing issues. Its a win-win! And so you have this person coming on the forum here, making crazy claims, not providing any substance, and expect everyone to be amazed? All they're doing is trying to build up hype... for something that is going to tank. Big time.

Not to mention the fact that BTRFS does virtually everything ZFS claims, but is GPL -- meaning that it IS in kernel, it IS supported, you CAN install your root filesystem to there. So what's the point of ZFS to begin with?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          Not to mention the fact that BTRFS does virtually everything ZFS claims, but is GPL -- meaning that it IS in kernel, it IS supported, you CAN install your root filesystem to there. So what's the point of ZFS to begin with?
          ZFS is stable and production systems ready. btrfs is very far from that.

Comment

Why all the work to install ZFS on linux when you can have the best of both worlds with http://www.nexenta.org

Comment

Originally posted by wpoely86 View Post
              ZFS is stable and production systems ready.
              Not on Linux

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                which means it will NEVER be a simple matter of "yum install zfs".
                Add a third party repository. On other distro's it could be as simple as adding a link. It could also be used as a root filesystem given that some distro's allow adding of repositories before installation.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Not on Linux
                  are you sure ?

I'm using it here via zfs-fuse on several backup media and it's much more stable than Btrfs is right now or even Reiser4 (so far)

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                    are you sure ?

I'm using it here via zfs-fuse on several backup media and it's much more stable than Btrfs is right now or even Reiser4 (so far)
                    I agree completely. BTRFS is currently a nice tech-demo, but there are ongoing reports of sata-loss bugs. The RAID5/6 implementation is still missing.

Comment

BTRFS is a baby in comparison to ZFS. Let's not get started on this debate. You can search my post where I mention serious issues with btrfs (I provide links) which make it not production ready at least for a couple of years.

I am using zfs-fuse and I can't sing enough praises of ZFS. I use it on OpenSolaris as well. You have to use ZFS to really see its power.

Bringing a native Linux module for ZFS is a welcome news! Once code gets out, it will be enhanced to newer pool versions. And third party repositories will pop up in no time.

People like me, who are on Gentoo, don't have to worry about the repos anyway. We compile stuff ourselves...:-D

Comment

Working...
                      X