Dirk Meyer resigns from AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirk Meyer resigns from AMD

Too bad, I though Dirk did one hell of a job of cleaning up the mess Ruiz left for him.

Yes, I heard those news yesterday night.
    It's unfortunate that AMD is still a big mess (Fusion ATM is a "flop", and their processors are significantly slower than intel i5/i7/SB counterparts )
    Furthermore, it also seems AMD might have a bigger trouble with yesterday's settlement between nVidia and Intel...

AMD has been innovating, and the others have been "copying" them, but are doing better (it seems like the history of the Greeks vs Romans). And that has been AMD's story in the last 4/5 years...

I hope the best luck for the new AMD CEO. They simply can't fail...

Cheers

Comment

Bad news. Dirk Meyer did great work for AMD. Now that he got the company moving again he leaves.

Oh, and AMD Fusion isn't exactly a "flop".

Comment

It was out years late, what do you call it then?

Comment

Late.

Flop means that it didn't succeed. Fusion is still up in the air.

Comment

It is defintely a bit late. At some timeframe there was basically no competition in netbook / atom class systems. If fusion is really that cheap they will sell something in that price range - especially when it is a bit faster. But maybe ARM will be in that segment sooner or later too... especially when Win8 runs on ARM, maybe ChromeOS or Android (in that case mainly tablets).

Comment

Well, some people need performance hardware. For instance, I need performance for engineering programs such as Matlab and because I also use a lot of programs (some of them demanding) at the same time.

A lot of people also wants to play the latest games avaiable for Windows/Linux OS's, and OC, in some (most) cases, you need a fast CPU/GFX combo to work.

Yes, Brazos APU is faster ATM, but Intel is going to launch a new generation of Dual-Core Atoms very soon, and although they're not as fast in PPW (Performance-per-Watt) as Fusion Counterparts, they'll possibly be faster in doing some threaded tasks than most current Fusion Brazos APUs...

Finally, there's a "placebo effect" in most electronic products that "expensive is better" (look at the examples of Apple, lower-end Core i5's or nVidia ). Altough most times this isn't the truth, it has influence in what (a lot of) people prefers to buy or not...

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                Bad news. Dirk Meyer did great work for AMD. Now that he got the company moving again he leaves.
                Well more like asked to leave. The cake was a lie.

Comment

Well, if you can use the "graphics card" part to compute data without having to install the OpenCL libraries, then it'll be a nice evolution using these APU's. Else, I think Fusion will be a huge "flop", mainly if their performance per clock won't be, at least, on par with i5/i7 SB CPU's...
                  But as most things, we've to wait before giving a opinion!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by evolution View Post
                    Well, if you can use the "graphics card" part to compute data without having to install the OpenCL libraries, then it'll be a nice evolution using these APU's. Else, I think Fusion will be a huge "flop", mainly if their performance per clock won't be, at least, on par with i5/i7 SB CPU's...
                    But as most things, we've to wait before giving a opinion!

Cheers
                    Indeed, we will have to wait. I see Fusion systems competing more against the Atom crowd however then the i5/i7 crowd and there it may have some success.

Comment

Working...
                    X