Ubuntu Edge At $11M With Less Than Three Days Left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by akincer View Post
    Okay, seems they don't follow their own rules. I didn't expect that. But still, it isn't automatic, and it seems to be at their discretion. I would be surprised if they extended a deadline a whole month, especially for a project whose current trajectory suggest they would have a hard time even if it was extended several months.

Comment

I'm not doubting that the vast majority of "tech enthusiasts" that are likely to back it have already done so. I'm suggesting that despite the original target audience, there are lots of people that are somewhat tech enthusiasts that aren't plugged in reading about tech on a regular basis which WOULD be inclined to buy one.

I mean one could argue that the S4 is almost a tech enthusiast phone and it hasn't had any trouble selling.
      Guess why? Because it is made by a company that is know to have made top quality smartphones and electronics for years and when Samsung actually sells something they have more to offer than just an idea. They have a FINISHED product that can be tested and reviewed by everyone with known specs and quality and can be shipped to you within DAYS not MONTHS.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        Guess why? Because it is made by a company that is know to have made top quality smartphones and electronic for years and when Samsung actually sells something they have more to offer than just an idea.
        And it is a continuation of a well-established and very popular brand, and they spent tons of money on advertising, and it is offered at a discount by cell phone providers, and there are demo units all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
          Even if we assume that is true, the maximum a campaign can go is 60 days (assuming they don't break that rule, too). That means they have to make nearly twice as much in the next 30 days as they did in the previous 30 days.
          Oh it most definitely would require lots of big players jumping in and buying LOTS of phones. There's been hints that Canonical has been in talks with just such folks. They've made it clear whomever these players are will not close a $20 million gap, but haven't said how much money those folks are willing to go in for.

Comment

Oh it most definitely would require lots of big players jumping in and buying LOTS of phones. There's been hints that Canonical has been in talks with just such folks. They've made it clear whomever these players are will not close a $20 million gap, but haven't said how much money those folks are willing to go in for.
            As I pointed out, even if they bought all the enterprise bundles offered, that still leaves them over $16 million in the hole. That is still more than they have made in the last month.

That is despite the fact that so far a grand total of 1 enterprise bundle has been purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
              As I pointed out, even if they bought all the enterprise bundles offered, that still leaves them over $16 million in the hole. That is still more than they have made in the last month.

That is despite the fact that so far a grand total of 1 enterprise bundle has been purchased.
              There's another enterprise bundle that has no limit on perks. Presumably, any entities going in REALLY big would grab a large number of those.

Comment

There's another enterprise bundle that has no limit on perks. Presumably, any entities going in REALLY big would grab a large number of those.
                Any why should someone invest REALLY big into a failed campaign? If anything investors have got the notion that people simply don't want this phone enough. Investors aren't stupid and toss a few millions here and there for shits and giggles.

Comment

Oh it's still possible, but only if some big players jump in and buy the crap out of it.

Also if they extend the campaign by a month or two they could make it.
                  Or if Android dies tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Any why should someone invest REALLY big into a failed campaign? If anything investors have got the notion that people simply don't want this phone enough. Investors aren't stupid and toss a few millions here and there for shits and giggles.
                    *If* a big company / wealth investor does buy a bunch of phones, you'll have to ask them. I'm not saying they definitely will, merely pointing out the possibility. I'm not interested in having a material debate on why they would or wouldn't want to do so.

Comment

Person A: Person B doesn't agree with my point of view. They must be a troll/fanboy/zealot/idiot/child/basement-dweller/insert insult or stereotype or strawman here.

Am I doing it right?

Comment

Working...
                      X