Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few PTS Desktop Live 2009.4 Details

Phoronix: A Few PTS Desktop Live 2009.4 Details

With Phoronix Test Suite 2.2 now in beta and this update offering a nice set of features with the official release landing in late November or December (chances are the third week of November), it's time to start talking about the PTS Desktop Live update. PTS Desktop Live, the Linux distribution that we designed to carry out automated Linux benchmarking from a LiveDVD environment that launched in conjunction with Phoronix Test Suite 2.0, will receive its first update shortly. We haven't talked much about this update yet as it's still undergoing extensive work and design, but obviously it will be shipping with Phoronix Test Suite 2.2 "Bardu" for its testing framework...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope the GUI version will work out of the box?

Comment

The GUI version should always work out of the box with PTS Desktop Live... It does right now with 2009.3 and will with 2009.4. The GUI is used by default there.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        The GUI version should always work out of the box with PTS Desktop Live... It does right now with 2009.3 and will with 2009.4. The GUI is used by default there.
        Just a thought... The system tray icon on 2009.3... is it possible to get that under Fedora or any other distro for that matter... I enjoy having that little notification icon in the corner

Comment

I think using the BFS scheduler is a bad idea: testing should be done with what users have/will have in the next round of distro updates, not with an experimental scheduler that might skew the results by improving some benchmarks and penalizing others, and that doesn't mirror what 99,9999999999% users will see.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteRabbit View Post
            Just a thought... The system tray icon on 2009.3... is it possible to get that under Fedora or any other distro for that matter... I enjoy having that little notification icon in the corner
            It should automatically show up when running "phoronix-test-suite gui", except for a few distributions that don't compile php-gtk with GtkStatusIcon support.

Or if you are talking about those libnotify notifications, you can do that on any system without php-gtk by adding gui_gtk_events (I think that's what it's called in 2.0) to your LoadModules tag in ~/.phoronix-test-suite/user-config.xml
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Will 2009.4 also be around 1gbit? I have like loads of 700mb cd's laying around that i'm not using for anything. Burning random liveCD's is great fun for it

I know you are dependant on ubuntu, but wasting a dvd is kinda wastefull. And since my biggest USB stick is only 1GB it would be my only option.

Also, I've noticed the 2009.3 iso name was x86_64, meaning it'll only run on 64 bit CPU's? my IBM T42 may be ancient, but it still is very sweet (to me anyway) so are there any plans for a 32bit version?

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
                Will 2009.4 also be around 1gbit? I have like loads of 700mb cd's laying around that i'm not using for anything. Burning random liveCD's is great fun for it

I know you are dependant on ubuntu, but wasting a dvd is kinda wastefull. And since my biggest USB stick is only 1GB it would be my only option.

Also, I've noticed the 2009.3 iso name was x86_64, meaning it'll only run on 64 bit CPU's? my IBM T42 may be ancient, but it still is very sweet (to me anyway) so are there any plans for a 32bit version?
                It's highly unlikely that PTS Desktop Live will ever fit on a CD, right now the thinking is that 2009.4 will be about 1.2GB in size.

Right now only x86_64 systems are targeted and it is unlikely that the desktop version will ever see 32-bit support. Though PTS Mobile Live would have 32-bit support.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Does anyone know where to get php-gtk packages for Debian and Ubuntu? I'm unable to use the GUI interface because of that problem (Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic).

Comment

64-bit PHP5-GTK for Ubuntu: http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/m....1-0_amd64.deb

You will also need to add "extension=php_gtk2.so" to your /etc/php5/cli/php.ini after installing the package.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X