Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No X Server 1.6 Release In Sight

Phoronix: No X Server 1.6 Release In Sight

During the last X Developers' Summit that took place at the Edinburgh Zoo, Keith Packard called for X Server 1.6 to be released by the end of 2008. Once the release schedule was set though, the final ship date for X Server 1.6.0 was the 5th of January...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I, for one, still appreciate all the developers effort to modernize our graphics infrastructure.

Comment

Is anybody really surprised by this? Maybe they shouldn't even bother with time based releases.

This release which was going to be rigid "date or bust" release is delayed, with no real schedule available.

Seriously, I'm fine if they settled for features and then released, which would also mean distros wouldn't package pre-release xorg which (graphics) drivers don't support.

On the other hand, if they moved to feature releases we would never get a release this century...

Comment

It may be nice to see a feature matrix comparison, a LoC comparison, an active developer and weekly commit rate comparison, and so on between Xorg and Wayland.. Like, during that time where no commits were made to Xorg, how much happened in Wayland?

Comment

I am not disappointed as I don't expect anything from developers that work so hard to make people's lives better, I am just happy when there is a new release. But I still do not understand why so few companys pay developers to work on this maybe 2nd most important piece of a GNU/Linux desktop (with Linux being the most important).

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            I am not disappointed as I don't expect anything from developers that work so hard to make people's lives better, I am just happy when there is a new release. But I still do not understand why so few companys pay developers to work on this maybe 2nd most important piece of a GNU/Linux desktop (with Linux being the most important).
            Perhaps because GNU/Linux is used mostly on servers, which don't have GUI's and as such don't require X.ORG? 70% of Kernel development is done by developers working for companies, but that is also required for a server.

Just my $0.02

BTW, I really hope to see Xserver 1.6 in time for ubuntu jaunty, I want DRI 2 so I can use compiz without having to disable it every time I want to play a game. This would also make a WAY better / more stable impression on new users

Comment

Xserver 1.6 prerelease is already in Ubuntu Jaunty and the final release should be finished before Ubuntu 9.04. But I am not sure if the radeon/RadeonHD driver will support it until then. But if it's just the driver, one could easily backport/compile a newer version after the new Ubuntu release. Xserver 1.6's most awesome feature is its EXA performance though :P

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                Xserver 1.6 prerelease is already in Ubuntu Jaunty and the final release should be finished before Ubuntu 9.04. But I am not sure if the radeon/RadeonHD driver will support it until then. But if it's just the driver, one could easily backport/compile a newer version after the new Ubuntu release. Xserver 1.6's most awesome feature is its EXA performance though :P
                Or you can just use the official ATI driver and get two or so times better 3d-performance. I never cared that the NVIDIA drivers (I have a 512 MB GF 8 8600 GT) are closed source, because at least for me, they work fine.

Comment

I imagine both radeon and radeonhd are working with 1.6 today, although I haven't actually tried them yet. It takes about 9-1/2 years to download a distro image at home, so stuff like that had to wait until I got back to work
                  Test signature

Comment

Maybe they just should say "When it's done"

Comment

Working...
                    X