Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the same boat with my E-350 laptop

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I didn't think we had a workstation (eg FirePro) product based on E-350 or any of the Fusion parts yet. Doesn't mean we don't want fglrx to work on your laptop, but it's when we say "workstation" we're talking about FirePro etc...

I'm actually a bit surprised that suspend/resume is working with the open drivers. The feedback I had heard was more the other way round, that we had a known issue with the open drivers but that fglrx worked. Will ask around.

I haven't had a chance to search through the unofficial bug tracker but if there isn't a similar ticket on there already it would be great if you could add one with system details. Suspend/resume is relatively more system specific than most functionality so a problem on your system may not mean the functionality is generally broken.

One advantage that the open source drivers have had is that relatively more of the development has been done on real production systems (after launch) whereas most of the Catalyst work has to be completed well before production hardware is available. This advantage may go away a bit as we try to do the open source development work earlier and provide support closer to launch -- we'll need to figure out the best balance.
    I'm in the same boat with my E-350 Acer laptop. There is no suspend/resume with closed driver, but it works with open source driver. Unfortunately video is so bad with the open driver that I boot into Windows for any videos. I have logged the bug with Ubuntu (even though it is the same with all distro's - I have tried Mint, Mandriva, Fedora, etc), and have tried manually installing (and uninstalling) each version of Catalyst through 11.7. I even updated to latest bios. I will probably try 11.8, but I am not hopeful of it working. I have also tried all workarounds, including even the trick with debugging the sleep with the bios clock. Nothing. This will be my last laptop I buy without Linux preloaded!

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      But you have disabled sync to vblank in Compiz have you?
      yup, I also suspect alot of the problems are due to the version of compiz and unity that ships with ubuntu 11.04. On Previous releases catalyst worked just fine (well fine for catalyst).

Comment

Even Linux Mint

Originally posted by chronniff View Post
        yup, I also suspect alot of the problems are due to the version of compiz and unity that ships with ubuntu 11.04. On Previous releases catalyst worked just fine (well fine for catalyst).
        FYI, I switched to Linux Mint 11, which doesn't use unity. Using the compiz tray icon I have compiz switched off (using metacity). Still no suspend and resume with Catalyst and E-350 APU.

Comment

It looks like ATI/AMD drivers are still buggy no matter whether closed or open source. Really disappointing.

Looking at buying a $90-ish card but I don't think I can risk it with an ATI card. Regardless of what I get, I wouldn't be able to sell it to get my money back.

I guess things are worse with mobile-based cards in which you have to worry about power management and the suspend features.

But, two strikes against it, is uselessness for trying BSD and less performance if you ever need to use wine.

Also, it sounds like video is another area where Nvidia, unfortunately, excels. I want to choose the open source option but performance is important to me. When one is just a general computer user, you go with what works, right? :-/

Another area is all the desktop effects, compiz, flash use, fs/window, scrolling, tearing etc. etc. issues I read regarding ATI catalyst AND radeon drivers.

I know Nvidia has its share but I don't know which is the worse situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            do your own experiences.

i do not have any problem with the catalyst 11.8.
            I can't. 'don have one.

I'm referring to a few threads on here and some of the owners are saying what they are having problems with (video being one).

What works, specifically?

Comment

sticking with 11.6 until the OpenCL bug is fixed.

to the folks bitching about suspend/resume: What suspend software are you using ? tuxonice or swsusp2 (or how is it called) ? I never had any luck with tuxonice and fglrx but swsusp2 worked without problems.

Comment

I've got the same suspend errors

I've tried 11.7 and 11.8 with a e-350 APU and I have the same suspend issue. It's bearable but... I wish AMD would get this fixed *sigh* .

Comment

I dont thinks all about fglrx

Originally posted by homerhomer View Post
                  I've tried 11.7 and 11.8 with a e-350 APU and I have the same suspend issue. It's bearable but... I wish AMD would get this fixed *sigh* .
                  I run fglrx with ubtuntu 11.04 and 11.10 on a e350 (lenovo s205) and had no problem with suspend with the 11.4 - 11.8 fglrx driver.
                  i did have promblems with suspend on this laptop but that was an efi issue passing noefi with boot args fixed it for me.

not sure if it worked with the open driver and efi

Comment

I just discovered alt-tab is working for me in Heroes of Newerth, haven't tested other games yet.

Comment

Originally posted by storma View Post
                      I just discovered alt-tab is working for me in Heroes of Newerth, haven't tested other games yet.
                      Thats good to hear. Since it doesn't work for me with Ubuntu 11.04 gnome with unity, can you please share these informations?:
                      - Distro
                      - KDE / Gnome / other
                      - Use of compositing

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X