No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Edge Crosses $3.1M In Its First Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For this price I prefer to buy an Iphone or an Ipad, but I don't need a gadget like this, mi nokia lumia 520 had a cost less than 200 $.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
      For this price I prefer to buy an Iphone or an Ipad, but I don't need a gadget like this, mi nokia lumia 520 had a cost less than 200 $.
      I got my laptop for half of what the ubuntu edge costs (i5 2410m 8GB ram 15"). My phone is the cheapest you can get ($30NZD) It can text and talk, no camera or apps..
      Its all i need

With the ubuntu edge you'd be paying a premium for the hightech stuff thats not yet mainstream. Great for people who have cash to burn.... (I'm not one of them)

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
        , mi nokia lumia 520 had a cost less than 200 $.
        A useless DRM'd piece of ms shit. I regret getting lumia... Not only I cannot replace OS, I can't even access hard drive without "Zune" which doesn't let me do anything... Not even stuff like copying files... Crazy shit, I know?

Comment

This is by far the highest initial goal I have ever heard of for a crowd funding campaign. Has there been any project with a higher goal? If so, any that succeeded?

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
            This is by far the highest initial goal I have ever heard of for a crowd funding campaign. Has there been any project with a higher goal? If so, any that succeeded?
            No this is about 3x higher than anything that has ever been crowd funded. I think Ouya was like 10 Mio USD.

I don't think that Canonicals goal is to make a profit from the pre-orders. If you look at the hardware and the price there is no margin left. That's nothing unusual. Most game consoles are sold at production costs. Canonical just wants to test the market, if there is demand for a super phone with convergence.

Comment

Originally posted by Caledar View Post
              I got my laptop for half of what the ubuntu edge costs (i5 2410m 8GB ram 15"). My phone is the cheapest you can get ($30NZD) It can text and talk, no camera or apps..
              Its all i need

With the ubuntu edge you'd be paying a premium for the hightech stuff thats not yet mainstream. Great for people who have cash to burn.... (I'm not one of them)
              I have the opposite situation. I call 5 min per month on average. I send 1 sms per year on average. I use 200MB per month on email, gtalk, web, whatsapp. I don't go on vacation so I see a new premium phone as a yearlong vacation

Comment

Then purchase this now.

Originally posted by enfocomp View Post
                Right on, I can't wait to buy an Ubuntu phone that can dock onto a monitor & keyboard/mouse. Would be great to replace my netbook + cell phone into one converged device.

I'm still going to use Debian or Arch for my main workstation, but this would be great for my other uses!
                They are only making 40,000 of these phones. Ever. If you want an Ubuntu Edge, you will need to back the campaign. This is a proof of concept that is meant to demonstrate demand for some very cutting edge hardware that major companies are afraid to take the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by edburns86 View Post
                  They are only making 40,000 of these phones. Ever. If you want an Ubuntu Edge, you will need to back the campaign. This is a proof of concept that is meant to demonstrate demand for some very cutting edge hardware that major companies are afraid to take the risk.
                  That is even worse than we thought. So Canonical doesn't really care about bringing you a great phone experience. They want to prove to investors that people want an Ubuntu phone.

Comment

Originally posted by xehpuk View Post
                    Looks nice.

I have one wish though:

One thing that often fail on my phones is that the micro USB connector gets worn out. Could you perhaps make it so that the phone can also be charged via some other more durable connector? Like the earphone connector? Or an extra dedicted one just for charging?
                    Even though that's a good suggestion, if the micro USB gets worn out that kind of beats the target of the Ubuntu phone. You will be unable to dock it.

Comment

As of right now, they need to average just over $668 per minute for the remainder of the fundraising window to meet their goal. That's almost one phone per minute. Doable, but tough.

Comment

Working...
                      X