[Catalyst Linux] 8.01 Coming soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Catalyst Linux] 8.01 Coming soon

On the Linux side of things, AMD says it plans to release Catalyst 8.1 drivers for Linux soon. That release will include MultiView, too, and it will introduce support for Ubuntu 7.10 as well as versions 5.1 and 4.6 of Red Hat's Enterprise Linux. In addition, the upcoming drivers will resolve problems related to display corruption after periods of inactivity, support for displays with 1680 x 1050 resolutions, ignored lines in the xorg.conf configuration file, and setting a system to sleep or hibernate. Expect the Linux drivers to be available from AMD's drivers and software page.

Would be about time. Ever since I've installed Xubuntu again I've waited for this new driver to come out.

Didn't install the previous one because of the 1680x1050 problem, so at the moment I'm still stuck with a very old version of fglrx.

Comment

Well, it seems to me that there are only basic bugfixes then (which should have high priority anyway).

Hope they release it soon. If 1680x1050 works I might give it a try.

Off-topic: just ordered a 8800GT card (new desktop). Couldn't even consider HD3870 due to everything we all know here. But unfortunatelly for you I'll stay here as I'll continue to use my notebook with it's Mobility X700 .

Comment

Well, I know for a fact that in my next notebook there will be a Nvidia card. I really 'love' ATI but ever since I migrated to Linux (about 4 years ago now) it has been a nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas View Post
          I'll continue to use my notebook with it's Mobility X700 .
          Does powerplay work fine with your card?

Comment

Originally posted by MagicTempest View Post
            Well, I know for a fact that in my next notebook there will be a Nvidia card. I really 'love' ATI but ever since I migrated to Linux (about 4 years ago now) it has been a nightmare.

The problem is, most e-shops allow you to filter products by a single category - and now you have to look for a laptop "without OS / Linux" and "with nVidia / Intel graphics card" - which usually means manually going through all the products in your price range

Comment

Well, as far as I know here in Holland it's almost impossible to buy a laptop without Windows. Most of the laptops that are sold without OS are more expensive than the ones with OS.

(Which is rather strange because it's illegal in Holland to 'bundle sale' (koppelverkoop it's called here). This law prohibits manufacturers to sell product A only when you also buy product B. For some reason Windows with a computer/laptop is allowed...)

Comment

Originally posted by MagicTempest View Post
                Well, as far as I know here in Holland it's almost impossible to buy a laptop without Windows. Most of the laptops that are sold without OS are more expensive than the ones with OS.
                [offtopic]
                I think we should put Nickel Neelie (Neelie Kroes, fyi) on this subject... Then we could finally buy hardware, without being forced to buy software as well...
                [/offtopic]

I think new drivers will be out today or tomorrow (well, I hope ). When the drivers support AIGLX and XV and widescreen resolutions and no memory leak and good 3d-performance and ... never mind

Comment

Originally posted by kmolazz View Post
                  Does powerplay work fine with your card?
                  Actually it works... I can change powerstates (speeds) with aticonfig.

I've enabled a script on my Ubuntu which lowers down the speed when I'm running on battery and brings back full speed when I'm on AC.

But I'm pretty confident that fglrx's powerplay is way weaker than the Windows driver (which should disable specific parts of the card as well).

Comment

Working...
                  X