Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 Beats Ubuntu Linux For Intel "Haswell" OpenGL

Phoronix: Windows 8 Beats Ubuntu Linux For Intel "Haswell" OpenGL

While we have published many Linux articles about Intel Haswell since the debut of the processors a month and a half ago, coming out now are our first benchmarks of the Microsoft Windows 8 performance against Ubuntu 13.10 Linux when using an Intel Core i7 4770K processor with HD Graphics 4600. Past Phoronix benchmarks have shown the Intel OpenGL performance to be superior on Windows over the Intel open-source Linux driver, but is this the case for Haswell?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, i'm not surprised.

Windows have better support from everybody, and Ubuntu sucks
    Last edited by felipe; 24 July 2013, 06:19 PM.

Comment

In the other hand Intel opensource drivers are in much better state than AMD and nVIDIA. Could you please make the same comparison with sandy bridge?

Thank you.

Comment

Why?

Why does it perform better on Windows than on Linux?

Is it because the Windows drivers have more developers and are better optimized?
        Or is it because Windows have a better graphics architecture?

Comment

NVIDIA, Can't touch this...

This is why I won't buy Intel.

I want my speed.
          Probably, Nvidia will not be 100% on pair, but dispariy will be rather small most likely. I will blame it on unoptimized games anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
            In the other hand Intel opensource drivers are in much better state than AMD and nVIDIA. Could you please make the same comparison with sandy bridge?

Thank you.
            Well, as a company, NVIDIA provides ZERO open source support (other than not suing the poor folks trying to reverse engineer their binary stack). AMD comes second, with open documentation and actually splitting their corporate efforts between binary and open source drivers. Best is Intel, with full open source support, even though it's still not perfect. But I can expect things to improve, with Google pushing Intel based chromebooks. AMD is also getting much better, even if their approach is not what I would consider ideal. It is a great day to be an open source enthusiast

Anyways, it seems like the tests make it clear where optimizations are lacking. Great job, Michael!. Look at the Xonotic example. The more level of detail, the larger the gap. This probably means that some of the most esoteric features are already supported but not yet fully optimized, in Linux. And this is how a good engineer codes: make it work first, optimize later.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
              Well, as a company, NVIDIA provides ZERO open source support (other than not suing the poor folks trying to reverse engineer their binary stack). AMD comes second, with open documentation and actually splitting their corporate efforts between binary and open source drivers. Best is Intel, with full open source support, even though it's still not perfect. But I can expect things to improve, with Google pushing Intel based chromebooks. AMD is also getting much better, even if their approach is not what I would consider ideal. It is a great day to be an open source enthusiast

Anyways, it seems like the tests make it clear where optimizations are lacking. Great job, Michael!. Look at the Xonotic example. The more level of detail, the larger the gap. This probably means that some of the most esoteric features are already supported but not yet fully optimized, in Linux. And this is how a good engineer codes: make it work first, optimize later.

Cheers!
              Sometimes the "Make it work first" approach leads to designs that can't easily be optimized later. It leads to developers not paying attention to where optimization can happen during the design.

Comment

mattrof opinion

Originally posted by mendieta View Post

Cheers!
                I'd say, keep support of openGL 4 out of the game, provide good speed of earlier versions.
                That way games at least will be playable.

Where user stands, IMHO, things are mess. I cans ee pretty pictures, like 2-3 a sec, but can't play' is worse than look at those boring but well done textures and light. At least user has a chance to play the game or do whatever he wants to do...

Comment

Michael, you should include source games, and other steam-related efforts in your benchmarks, all those other games are not as important anymore.

Comment

yep

Originally posted by Kiori View Post
                    Michael, you should include source games, and other steam-related efforts in your benchmarks, all those other games are not as important anymore.
                    Agreed... 100%

Comment

Working...
                    X