Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porting Mesa to the Playstation 2

Hi,

I would like to port mesa to a new platform, or actually a very old platform: the Playstation 2. Linux support is still being worked on and I would like to get OpenGL working, since that is what the platform should do best ;-).

What limits the ps2 is its 32MB of RAM. So I would like to use MESA without X, with EGL. Start simple, with software rendering, then try to get the rasterization hardware accelerated. But there are so many driver models and options to choose from! Like swrast, softpipe and llvm. Then there is Gallium, DRI, DDX, etc, etc... it's all a bit much and confusing.

Currently there is a classic framebuffer driver in the kernel for the ps2 (no KMS).

My questions are:
    - What is possible for using software rendering without X, with only FB driver?
    - What would be a good upgrade path towards hw rasterization? Mesa DRI driver + kernel DRM driver?
    - Do I need to make a KMS driver?

You may want to contact this list: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/mesa-dev where there are mesa developers.

Comment

I already tried there but was unable to post messages. I probably have to register? Will go back there and give it another try. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus32 View Post
        I already tried there but was unable to post messages. I probably have to register? Will go back there and give it another try. Thanks.
        Yes, you need to subscribe to the list. When sending without subscription the message is moderated and may or not be accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus32 View Post
          Hi,

I would like to port mesa to a new platform, or actually a very old platform: the Playstation 2. Linux support is still being worked on and I would like to get OpenGL working, since that is what the platform should do best ;-).

What limits the ps2 is its 32MB of RAM. So I would like to use MESA without X, with EGL. Start simple, with software rendering, then try to get the rasterization hardware accelerated. But there are so many driver models and options to choose from! Like swrast, softpipe and llvm. Then there is Gallium, DRI, DDX, etc, etc... it's all a bit much and confusing.

Currently there is a classic framebuffer driver in the kernel for the ps2 (no KMS).

My questions are:
          - What is possible for using software rendering without X, with only FB driver?
          - What would be a good upgrade path towards hw rasterization? Mesa DRI driver + kernel DRM driver?
          - Do I need to make a KMS driver?
          ps2 has experimental 2.6 kernel port, but most distros stick with 2.4.21 / 2.4.17.

I doubt it would be very effective due to memory constraints.

Best way would be to hack something on top of homebrew ps2sdk environment.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
            I doubt it would be very effective due to memory constraints.
            I know. That's why I want to leave X out and use EGL. I know 32MB is not much, but why would it not be effective? Please explain.

Comment

I think there has been DreamGL once... whatever happened to it?

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                I think there has been DreamGL once... whatever happened to it?
                All I can find is not for linux but for ps2sdk. But even if it was, I would like to get proper modern support. With kms, drm, and a proper opengl stack (mesa). Not some hack with a minigl driver.

Comment

Working...
                X