Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.7-rc3: Some Of You Need To Change Your Names

Phoronix: Linux 3.7-rc3: Some Of You Need To Change Your Names

Linus Torvalds released the Linux 3.7-rc3 kernel on Sunday evening. There isn't much that stands out about this release, but there is a small comedic rant by Linus about the names of some kernel contributors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Say one thing for Linus, say he has a sense of humour

Comment

Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
      Say one thing for Linus, say he has a sense of humour
      +1

Indeed. I like that.
      He develops the Linux kernel used by every big company in the world and he still jokes and haves fun, that's great.

Comment

Not only does he have a sense of humor in a business oriented field but he says things that can be portrayed as offensive, which i like because he either says what he needs to to get the job done (and done right) or he's just teasing people and trying to lighten the mood of something that is otherwise boring.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Not only does he have a sense of humor in a business oriented field but he says things that can be portrayed as offensive, which i like because he either says what he needs to to get the job done (and done right) or he's just teasing people and trying to lighten the mood of something that is otherwise boring.
          Torvalds (who is a dick ) along with RMS (who is mad ) are probably two of the most important people of our times. While others strive for profit those people gave away their work for free to everybody. And thats noble.

And of course this doesn't exclude the hundreds of devs that did the same thing. For the fun of it.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            Torvalds (who is a dick ) along with RMS (who is mad ) are probably two of the most important people of our times. While others strive for profit those people gave away their work for free to everybody. And thats noble.

And of course this doesn't exclude the hundreds of devs that did the same thing. For the fun of it.
            Probably sacrilege to say on a linux forum, but i also think Bill Gates as a great man. He made lots of money and actively tried to denounce linux, but in the end, he has donated almost all of his money to charity.

Comment

Probably sacrilege to say on a linux forum, but i also think Bill Gates as a great man. He made lots of money and actively tried to denounce linux, but in the end, he has donated almost all of his money to charity.
              After a point money doesn't mean anything. And on the contrary if don't have any it means the world. Sadly . Torvalds and RMS didn't give their work away after they got money (well torvalds gets enough now i believe. RMS i doubt if he has any in the bank). And that puts them on a whole different level. I see Gates and Jobs as successful businessmen. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

It's a sacrilege to say something stupid.

That wasn't.

Comment

It certainly is stupid.

He doesn't donate all of his money to charity. Many sites about his so called 'charity'. Things like investing in 'bad' companies to 'help' those being hurt by said bad companies to begin with. Controversies all over the place. He is trying to 'clear' his name as an ass.

Sure, he was a great businessman. He made lots of money. Lots and lots of it. Does that automatically make him an amazing or good person? I would like to think not. If you take it to the extreme, the Third Reich was also quite wealthy, or at least Adolf himself. He made lots of gold/money. Does that make him a good person? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
                    It certainly is stupid.

He doesn't donate all of his money to charity. Many sites about his so called 'charity'. Things like investing in 'bad' companies to 'help' those being hurt by said bad companies to begin with. Controversies all over the place. He is trying to 'clear' his name as an ass.

Sure, he was a great businessman. He made lots of money. Lots and lots of it. Does that automatically make him an amazing or good person? I would like to think not. If you take it to the extreme, the Third Reich was also quite wealthy, or at least Adolf himself. He made lots of gold/money. Does that make him a good person? I don't think so.

he has donated lots of money for malaria and HIV research. Plus, aid to various NGO's in third world countries. Plus, money for sanitation and drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                    X