Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State of wine gaming with recent ati cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of wine gaming with recent ati cards?

Hi,

Im considering updating my 8800gts to a gtx275 or amd/ati 5770.

My previous experiences with ati include radon 9600pro and x1300pro which turned out pretty bad under linux - ie. gaming virtually not possible, lack of drivers etc.

How are things looking right now? Does it make any sense to buy a new ati card now? Not with possibility that someday somewhere i may be able to game with that card freely, id like to be able to use it soon with equally good results as nvidia.

Should work. I'm game deving on an ATI machine and I'm not going lightly on it :P

Comment

thats not the same, i guess i could program some opengl too with ogre3d or pyglet ;-)

Im asking about WINE gaming.

Comment

Most of my pre-2006 games work fine, and the ones that don't are because of install issues with copy protection. The newest games I have tried are Dragon Age and Divine Divinity 2, none of which work for me. The way things are with WINE development, you're better off with an nvidia card.

Comment

oh, thats not good, i sucessfully played many "recent" games like, mass effect, mirrors edge, dead space, devil may cry4 with nvidia ( some with wine patches), so thats not possible with ati ?

Comment

There aren't that many recent games I have tried, and to be honest, I don't bother trying to patch/tweak WINE; if the game doesn't work on a regular WINE installation, then it's garbage. That's just me though.

Comment

Be prepared for disappointment. I recently purchased a HD 5750 thinking I could play some wine games with it using the proprietary driver until the open source driver matures. Boy, was I wrong. Games such as F.E.A.R and Half-Life 2 that run perfectly fine with my HD 3200 all crash on my HD 5750.

Code:
              Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000014 in 32-bit code (0x208bf2a6).

Backtrace:
              =>0 0x208bf2a6 in fglrx_dri.so (+0x8a52a6) (0x00000000)
              0x208bf2a6: movl	0x14(%edx),%eax
              Same driver, same OS, same game settings, everything being the same except the card being used. What a shame such a beautiful card ruined by a terrible driver. It is that I do care about the work going on on the open source driver otherwise I would have gone with NVidia.
              Last edited by monraaf; 19 January 2010, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Okay my mistake, I was a little frustrated by these crashes and should have investigated more. When OffscreenRenderingMode is set to 'backbuffer' instead of the default 'fbo', these specific crashes are gone. So there is still a tiny bit of hope for fglrx

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                  Okay my mistake, I was a little frustrated by these crashes and should have investigated more. When OffscreenRenderingMode is set to 'backbuffer' instead of the default 'fbo', these specific crashes are gone. So there is still a tiny bit of hope for fglrx
                  Please please please post more about how well wine games are working with that 'backbuffer' workaround. You are now experiencing almost exactly what ergo was asking about. I'm curious too.
                  Last edited by StringCheesian; 20 January 2010, 03:50 AM.

Comment

I have an HD4870. Wine just about works and it's playable.

However, Wine on an NVidia doesn't just "about work" and is "playable", but kicks ass. I would go for the NVidia card if Wine is important to you. With the ATI, even though it works somewhat, you'll be heavily disappointed if you're used to how Wine works on NVidias. Most people who find that Wine runs actually good now on ATI cards, are people who never saw Wine in action on an NVidia.

Comment

Working...
                    X