6850 on Ubuntu Oneiric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    "most" i don't know market share numbers but my system right now do only have hdmi sound.

and: "(it's pretty much the standard HTPC config) " is not SOME standard means MOST.

you're contradicting yourself!

Standard=most
    ???

Your argument only works if all "consumer users" run "HTPC configs", which I really don't think is the case. I don't know the exact numbers but I would guess maybe 5-10% of consumer systems are dedicated HTPC configs where the only display/sound devices are HDMI-attached.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      Just tell me do AMD pay me a 3.5mm jack cable? or a mainboard with on-board sound if i do not have one?

Do AMD pay me damages compensation because of the analog Quality lost on the 3.5mm jack Cable?

and i ask again do Microsoft pay for all this ?
      Does AMD pay for your HDMI cable ? Or an HD TV ? Or a graphics card with HDMI connector if you do not have one ? Seriously Q, you're pushing this thread past the bounds of common sense.
      Test signature

Comment

Most computers have non-HDMI audio output; in fact I don't think it's too far off to say just about all of them do. Moreover, I would say more computers have non-HDMI *digital* audio output (coax, 3.5 to coax, or optical) than have HDMI ports period.
        Last edited by agd5f; 06 January 2012, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Sure it's a simple question, but I certainly can't give you an answer.

It seems highly unlikely, particularly since we do enable HDMI audio in the Linux Catalyst drivers, but if we were I wouldn't know about it anyways.
          Test signature

Comment

Thats bullshit, it is not ms fault when amd wants to release 12 drivers a year - and even the same day for win+linux. A few h later are the hotfix drivers optimizied for some new games out as usual, but not for Linux. Basically you can only bang you head against the next wall for such stupidness.

Comment

Q, it isn't even *close* to being a fact. Feel free to call it a personal opinion, of course.

We share a lot of code between drivers on different OSes, and share test coverage on a lot of the common bits. Once we know that the code isn't going to have to change for any of the OSes, we release all the drivers sharing that code at the same time.

If you believe that the requirement for WHQL cert on Windows drivers leads directly to saying "the linux catalyst is crippled because of Microsoft" then all I can say is "perhaps that made more sense before translation"
              Last edited by bridgman; 06 January 2012, 09:29 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

OK, I *think* you're suggesting that if you "do an affidavit" that somehow makes your statement a fact, ie turns it into some kind of absolute truth ?
                Test signature

Comment

back on track here, and Q, please stop hijacking the thread.

I'm really interested in buying this computer:

I want to run linux on it, specifically archlinux, but I'd even compromise on ubuntu it if gets better results. I'd like to play games both natively and in wine, i.e. say sims 3, but also newer stuff. Are my prospects good with fglrx / radeon, or am I likely to run into a lot of problems?

I've seen a lot of people here and elsewhere telling me to buy nvidia as it runs the best with wine etc., but I'd like to give a chance to a company that looks to me more dedicated to the foss movement.

Comment

Michael, I think we need a "random illogic" forum

Q, even if you believe my responses have been discredited by an unspecified conflict of interest, that doesn't make your statement "right"; at best it moves it from "wrong" to "unknown".
                    Test signature

Comment

Q keep it up I know for a fact bridgman is LYING, keep fighting the good fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X