Richard Stallman Calls Ubuntu "Spyware"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Funny how that goes Without a free compiler, toolchain, and editor there likely wouldn't be a free OS for you to use today. If that's not "getting things done", I don't know what is.
    Indeed! The lack of perspective here is overwhelming.

RMS did three major things. He didn't do them alone, but was the driving force behind them, and without him, we wouldn't have them:

- Emacs
    - GCC and the rest of the GNU toolchain
    - GPL

The first one is not important to everyone. The third one made Linux and everything around it possible, the second one was what made Linux and all the BSDs and everything Apple does today possible.

If someone doesn't like his hairstyle or his opinions, fine, knock yourself out. But talking about how he is not doing the "real things" for "the people"? He is 60 years old now, FFS, he did the "real things" that make everything you touch today possible, and he did them 30 years ago. Now he's a Free Software advocate, a movement he started, and which began as a couple of command-line tools, and which now runs most supercomputers, as well as providing software for almost everything anyone would ever want to do on a programmable computer.

If somebody doesn't see this, there is no helping them. Go ahead and hate him, I don't care, and neither does he.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post

- Emacs
      - GPL
      Don't go ruining a good fanboy rant with facts, what has he done for us lately?

Comment

Originally posted by rudolph_steinberg View Post
        Don't go ruining a good fanboy rant with facts, what has he done for us lately?
        Yes, absolutely. Instead of rolling up our sleeves and attacking the problems of our generation ourselves (like RMS did in his time), we should sit here and moan and bitch so RMS keeps solving all our problems until he is 100.

Because if a 60-year old pioneer who almost single-handedly started the movement that gave us all our software doesn't create a slick product to compete with teh Apple and teh Mikrosoft, then "we" will shower him with ridicule because he, the 60-year-old man has not himself rewritten all the firmware in the world. I mean, he only re-wrote Unix (with lots of other people, of course). But today's kids are not easy to please. No, he must rewrite the firmware of my new Lexus, otherwise the kids will hate him, because the kids today are spoilt brats.

Comment

Yes, absolutely. Instead of rolling up our sleeves and attacking the problems of our generation ourselves (like RMS did in his time), we should sit here and moan and bitch so RMS keeps solving all our problems until he is 100.

Because if a 60-year old pioneer who almost single-handedly started the movement that gave us all our software doesn't create a slick product to compete with teh Apple and teh Mikrosoft, then "we" will shower him with ridicule because he, the 60-year-old man has not himself rewritten all the firmware in the world. I mean, he only re-wrote Unix (with lots of other people, of course). But today's kids are not easy to please. No, he must rewrite the firmware of my new Lexus, otherwise the kids will hate him, because the kids today are spoilt brats.
          Yes, he deserves respect, even if we think he is wrong and we see he doesn't respect others.

Comment

I think your sarcasm detector isn't working, mate... Although I appreciate your spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by rudolph_steinberg View Post
              I think your sarcasm detector isn't working, mate...
              Err, I think yours isn't.

I was just continuing my rant

Comment

Originally posted by peperoni View Post
                I The problem, in my opinion is that those kind of strategies are legal. I think it should be ilegal to share even statistical data. But while they continue being legal, though unethical, I think it's unfair to blame some companies for using that kind of strategies
                Huh? Are you seriously saying it is "unfair" to point out when companies are being unethical? No has claimed what they are doing is illegal, no one is claiming they should be prosecuted for anything. All anyone claimed is that what they are doing is unethical and that some people don't like it when companies act in an unethical manner. What is wrong with that? What is the point of even having the concept of ethics if we aren't allowed to criticize someone for being unethical?

Comment

Let us pray.

Hail Stallman, full of indignation.
                  Our copy is left with thee.
                  Noisy art thou among the hirsute,
                  and invisible is the fruit of thy code,
                  Hurd.
                  Stubborn Richard, father of GNU,
                  chill-out for us Linuxers,
                  now and at the cron of our tab.
                  Kmen.

Comment

Indeed! The lack of perspective here is overwhelming.

RMS did three major things. He didn't do them alone, but was the driving force behind them, and without him, we wouldn't have them:

- Emacs
                    - GPL

The first one is not important to everyone. The third one made Linux and everything around it possible, the second one was what made Linux and all the BSDs and everything Apple does today possible.

If someone doesn't like his hairstyle or his opinions, fine, knock yourself out. But talking about how he is not doing the "real things" for "the people"? He is 60 years old now, FFS, he did the "real things" that make everything you touch today possible, and he did them 30 years ago. Now he's a Free Software advocate, a movement he started, and which began as a couple of command-line tools, and which now runs most supercomputers, as well as providing software for almost everything anyone would ever want to do on a programmable computer.

If somebody doesn't see this, there is no helping them. Go ahead and hate him, I don't care, and neither does he.
                    Very very well said. Thank you.

I'm sure there are many areas I'd disagree with Stallman (also many I agree with too), but I cannot help but respect the man. It cannot be denied what he and those that worked with him did.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      since people know about it and help making it work right, spyware is not the correct term. Because 'spying' is a covert activity.
                      WE know about it, but I would say 80% of ubuntu users know nothing about all of this.

Comment

Working...
                      X