Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Upgrading to Sparkle GeForce 9800 GT, problem

Hello!

I have a problem when I'm trying to upgrade to a different video card. I've upgraded my card before, so this isn't my first time.

Here's the scoop. I'm running a Dell Vostro 200 Slim, and I bought this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814187061 . It's a low profile card, PCI-E and DVI. So I put in the card, which fits perfectly, and hooked the DVI cable to the monitor. However, when I turn on the monitor, it does not detect anything - it's just a black screen that is looking for a signal (I have it set to digital input for DVI cable, as opposed to analog for VGA). I know nothing is wrong with the cable because it works with my older card.

I then noticed that the video card box came with a small cord, which is the same as the first picture here: http://www.msicomputer.com/support/f...esoformid=2722 . I don't know what this cord does, nor can I find a place for it to connect to inside the computer.

Any help on this matter is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Your link to the picture is broken. I'm going to take a guess (if it's any similar to my card,) it's likely a power cord that hooks the GPU to the PSU. If it is indeed the power connector, you must have it hooked from the PSU to the graphics card for it to work. Most modern GPUs require this.

Comment

Even if he did hook it up with the adapter it's very possible that the powersupply might have a hard time powering it up Those OEM power supply's (especially dells) are usually on the light side of capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Even if he did hook it up with the adapter it's very possible that the powersupply might have a hard time powering it up Those OEM power supply's (especially dells) are usually on the light side of capacity.
        That's true. I used to have a Dell Dimension 4550 and the only place I could find a new PSU was PC Power & Cooling. The older Dells (like mine) used special PSU models so finding replacements that actually fit was a hassle.

Comment

Usually when you hook up high end cards without PCI-express power, it emits a blood-curdling EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sound ... At least thats what my GeForce 285 GTX did. Mid-range cards can run without it but at reduced performance, plus you get a nag screen saying you don't have enough power.

Comment

Working...
          X