No announcement yet.

Fluendo Releases Its Own Linux DVD Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In all fairness, the next sentence after the one quoted by deanjo says they are working on it and it will be included in the next update.

Comment

Well maybe they should have waited with the release then. In order to play those protected dvds you have to rip em first (which works even with wine), then every player can handle it OR you can play em with LinDVD. I usually prefer using kaffeine as it allows for example to add audio filters i. e. for volnorm. DVD menus work with it too, so you gain nothing. The killer feature for it is just missing over free alternatives.

Comment

This is probably intended more for OEMs than for end users. For a random person to install presumed-infringing software is no big deal, but if a company like Dell ships unlicensed DVD playback software on Linux PCs, a lawsuit is almost guaranteed.

Comment

Then i hope they use the other available player because there are LOTS of new dvds out there which have those bad types of copy protection.
          Last edited by Kano; 03 July 2009, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Can we see the source code for this piece of code?

Comment

I wouldn't mind checking it out, if only to see what how it performs. Gstreamer (via Dragon Player [Phonon] and Elisa/Moovida) couldn't handle DVD playback on my AthlonXP 2600+. Maybe an "official" implementation would work better?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
                I wouldn't mind checking it out, if only to see what how it performs. Gstreamer (via Dragon Player [Phonon] and Elisa/Moovida) couldn't handle DVD playback on my AthlonXP 2600+. Maybe an "official" implementation would work better?

Like I wrote above, the player uses 100% of my CPU and the image stutters all over the place (unwatchable). On an Athlon 2500+ (running at 1,86 GHz).

Using the same DVD with VLC the processor runs at 0,9 GHz (lowest speed, should actually be 666 MHz but the new Ubuntu kernel seriously misdetects the speeds for this CPU) and is some 2/3 busy. Some of that difference could be attributed to the fact that the Fluendo player seems to apply deinterlacing and VLC doesn't, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
                  This is probably intended more for OEMs than for end users. For a random person to install presumed-infringing software is no big deal, but if a company like Dell ships unlicensed DVD playback software on Linux PCs, a lawsuit is almost guaranteed.
                  Perhaps, but unlike CyberLink and the guys doing LinDVD this is available for purchase for end users.

Since I managed to convince a couple of people to install Linux on their desktops (novice users) I find a dedicated DVD player convenient. Such people might have problems with VLC, which includes a lot of extra options, but a very simple DVD player will be just fine.

Unfortunately, at the moment I cannot recommend the Fluendo player to anyone. Apart from hogging the CPU and not working smoothly, it has a very ugly interface (motif windows).

Comment

Fluendo is probably going to run into the big problem (in my opinion anyway) of commercial software (mostly non-gaming products): Why should I pay for this if X does the same thing or nearly the same thing?

Also, the kinds of things people here are reporting the DVD player does are simply not acceptable for anyone trying to sell a DVD player in 2009- it should just work (we've been able to play back DVD quality video since the late 90's/ early 2000's), so stuttering is something expected for HD video, not for SD video.

I appreciate what the Fluendo folks are doing, but they have to realize that they are competing against free (which can be done, but it requires you to be the best, or have some key features not available elsewhere, and a commitment to continually improve- because your competition certainly will).

Comment

If somebody would release a blueray player for Linux it would be much cooler than this...

Comment

Working...
                      X