Development Pace Of X.Org Is On The Decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryao View Post
    At some point, everything that needs to be done has been done and there is no point to making further changes.
    Change & transformation never stops - this is just reality of existence. I'm not sure what your point or question is - can u be more specific?

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
      Change & transformation never stops - this is just reality of existence. I'm not sure what your point or question is - can u be more specific?
      How much change and transformation does the `echo` command need? As for my question, what changes need to be made to Xorg? I suspect that there is not much that needs revision for most people, which is why development activity is declining.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
        How much change and transformation does the `echo` command need? As for my question, what changes need to be made to Xorg? I suspect that there is not much that needs revision for most people, which is why development activity is declining.
        Echo vs X? Really?? Come on man.

You are right - X needs no change. It needs to die. Wayland is the next generation display server. If u want to find out why X needs to change, read the Wayland rationale from the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
          Echo vs X? Really?? Come on man.

You are right - X needs no change. It needs to die. Wayland is the next generation display server. If u want to find out why X needs to change, read the Wayland rationale from the FAQ.
          My point is that development of any software should eventually taper off once it matures. More complex software takes longer to mature. X works fine on many systems and needs few changes. If Wayland matures, it will be in the same position.

As for rationale, I can see applications for Wayland on embedded systems where memory is a premium, but I don't think it makes much difference for most systems people consider to be computers. SGI workstations from the 1980s ran X windows without problems. If computers from the 1980s could run it, then ours should have no problems running it. After all, our computers are many times faster.

Comment

Working...
          X