Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 3.4 Meets The World

Phoronix: LibreOffice 3.4 Meets The World

News of Oracle handing over OpenOffice.org to the Apache Software Foundation isn't the only open-source office news this week; The Document Foundation has just announced the official release of LibreOffice 3.4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice work, LO Team...will Apache OOo even catch up?

Comment

How exactly do they figure that they can relicense GPL code under APL? OOo is riddled with code that is not owned by Oracle and which must remain under GPL -- unless they obtain the consent of all outside contributors who provided their code under GPL, which is not going to happen.

Comment

It seems that, while LibreOffice 3.3 became the evolution of Go-OO, only with LibreOffice 3.4 the LO developers have reached feature parity with Gentoo OpenOffice. Things like the Cairo support, STLport removal and reduced loading times were a trademark of Gentoo OpenOffice since OpenOffice 2.x ebuilds.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          OOo is riddled with code that is not owned by Oracle and which must remain under GPL -- unless they obtain the consent of all outside contributors who provided their code under GPL, which is not going to happen.
          Are you sure about that? IIRC you had to sign a Sun Contributor Agreement before you could contribute to OpenOffice. Which means you would give them joint copyright ownership over your contributed code, so they can relicense it at will.
          Last edited by monraaf; 03 June 2011, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Maybe it is just me, but I grabbed the 3.4 deb install pack, installed all the debs in said tarball (even the languages I don't use, since I didn't want to sort through them), but don't seem to have any support for Ubuntu's appmenu indicator in Unity.

Anybody else tried this?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              How exactly do they figure that they can relicense GPL code under APL? OOo is riddled with code that is not owned by Oracle and which must remain under GPL -- unless they obtain the consent of all outside contributors who provided their code under GPL, which is not going to happen.
              What code isn't owned by Oracle?

All contributors to OOo needed to sign a copyright assignment agreement. That's one of the main reasons OOo development was so slow.

Oracle are now free to do whatever the hell they want with the project

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                It seems that, while LibreOffice 3.3 became the evolution of Go-OO, only with LibreOffice 3.4 the LO developers have reached feature parity with Gentoo OpenOffice. Things like the Cairo support, STLport removal and reduced loading times were a trademark of Gentoo OpenOffice since OpenOffice 2.x ebuilds.
                The 3.3 release was always going to be fairly unambitious. The focus was on setting the project up, and getting an initial working release out the door. It's only in the next few releases when we'll start to see the newer innovations and improvements make their way into the code.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisIrwin View Post
                  Maybe it is just me, but I grabbed the 3.4 deb install pack, installed all the debs in said tarball (even the languages I don't use, since I didn't want to sort through them), but don't seem to have any support for Ubuntu's appmenu indicator in Unity.

Anybody else tried this?
                  In Ubuntu there was already a "lo-appmenu" package before version 3.4 so I'm not sure what the difference is going to be with the newer version. Do you have that package installed?

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                    In Ubuntu there was already a "lo-appmenu" package before version 3.4 so I'm not sure what the difference is going to be with the newer version. Do you have that package installed?
                    That package might need to be re-compiled against the new LibO, of course...

Comment

Working...
                    X