Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux FILESYSTEM BENCHMARKS (includes Reiser4).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jade View Post
    Why shouldn't ext4 be hot?

ext4 is just a RIP OFF of Reiser4.

Just like ext3 was a RIP OFF of JFS.
    Care to explain, and provide evidence?

BTW, the alleged changes in the code of key files in Reiser4 seem to only be changes to make the files use the new Linux API introduced with the version of the kernel they shipped, maybe something else broke in the dependency chain? Without knowing where these functions are declared and what other headers are needed by these, I cannot say, but from what little you provide as "evidence" is clear an API change, rather than sabotage.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
      I don't think anyone disputes this? Do they?

Comment

I don't think anyone disputes this? Do they?
        That is neither an explanation nor evidence of anything...

If you feel like Ext3/4 are ripoffs of Reiser3/4 because they implement features also found in those file systems, that is hardly evidence of anything... Ext3/Reiser3 offer features from other file systems that preceded them. If anything, I'd say that Ext3/Reiser3 were developed around the same time frame seeking to incorporate the same features, but then the file systems diverted to different directions (as evidenced by the faster performance of Reiser3 for smaller files and its structure, which substantially different than Ext3's)

Comment

Originally posted by alec View Post
          ext4 looks really sexy

But can a ext4 filesystem with extents be at least READ from Windows XP install?
          What for? It's probably easier and faster to write from Linux to XP then opposite. Maybe Total Commander will include some plugin to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            What for? It's probably easier and faster to write from Linux to XP then opposite. Maybe Total Commander will include some plugin to do that.
            I suppose that just like there are drivers for Ext2/3 for Windows, there might be one for Ext4? I can see it being useful in virtualized environments, datacenters, etc.

Comment

I suppose that just like there are drivers for Ext2/3 for Windows, there might be one for Ext4? I can see it being useful in virtualized environments, datacenters, etc.
              That's right. Probably Total Commander will support reading from EXT4.

Comment

How come the recent phoronix benchmarks didn't include Reiser4?

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                  when i saw this topic on mainpage i thought to myself
                  "it must have been started by Jade". guess i was right.

then i saw this :
                  now i've fell off my chair laughing and i can't get up ;]

the "Conspiracist" title is well earned, indeed :]

imagine putting reiserfs with compression on lvm on dm-crypt device... that would really hit performance.

i guess that only reasonable real-life application of compressing read-write filesystem is when the files are not going to be changed frequently. otherwise it might cause more problems than solve.
                  good thing that reiser4 has a 'smart' compression algorithm. If something is not compressible in the first couple of blocks, it does not try to compress the rest, saving time, cpu cycles and space.

But ifg compression is so bad: why do all serious tape drivers have built in hardware compression?

Comment

BTW, the alleged changes in the code of key files in Reiser4 seem to only be changes to make the files use the new Linux API introduced with the version of the kernel they shipped, maybe something else broke in the dependency chain? Without knowing where these functions are declared and what other headers are needed by these, I cannot say, but from what little you provide as "evidence" is clear an API change, rather than sabotage.
                    sabotage happened a view days ago. Nick Piggin broke reiser4 with some changes. Andrew Morton did not revert the commit or fixed the breakage - he deactivated resier4.

So much about 'if your code is in kernel, it will be fixed when changes break it'. Edward fixed it. Nick thankled him - but it was wrong anyway. Andrew should have reverted Nick's changes until the fix is ready.

Comment

How come the recent phoronix benchmarks didn't include Reiser4?
                      Sadly (and yes, I regret the current state of Reiser4 adoption) Reiser4 is not provided nor supported by many distributions, mainstream or otherwise.

@Energyman:

I'm not in a position to defend either the original commitment or the changes done (for API consistency) by kernel maintainers. I do not believe that braking Reiser4 was sabotaged as such, but rather put on hold until the code can be more exhaustively revised... If you are so inclined, you could help by solving the braking points in the Reiser4 code and commit a new patch. I do not see the great fuss...

Comment

Working...
                      X