Systemd 213 Adds A Time Sync Daemon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    All seperate daemons, all separate binaries. Systemd: Umbrella Project, like Apache, not Systemd PID1... Troll argument is troll
    And this is good, as the Linux userspace needs a bit of dictatorship. Common components, commands and API

Comment

Aren't We A Bit Sensitive?

All seperate daemons, all separate binaries. Systemd: Umbrella Project, like Apache, not Systemd PID1... Troll argument is troll
      See the title....

Perhaps the person is just poking fun, trying to make your day a little bit more pleasant and enjoyable.

Then you turn to slinging the "T" word at the poster. How are you no different from Lennart in this respect? Perhaps you are nothing more than a sockpuppet for Lennart.

Hey Ericg...lighten up.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
        Then you turn to slinging the "T" word at the poster. How are you no different from Lennart in this respect? Perhaps you are nothing more than a sockpuppet for Lennart.

Hey Ericg...lighten up.
        Last I checked.. Troll was a pretty minor insult. Like on the same level as calling someone a "jerk.", maybe even less than that. Also, it stops being "funny" after the millionth time. Everyone knows that the surefire way to start a 90pg systemd thread is to make just ONE comment about it being monolithic.

Trust me.. I've done my fair-share of Lennart bashing. Im far from a sock-puppet or a fanboy. He's not perfect, he's screwed up, but systemd thusfar isn't one of the screwups.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I wonder how soon Archlinux's core repository will contain only a single package...

Comment

Meant as a joke but for the record..

Originally posted by LEW21 View Post
            I wonder how soon Archlinux's core repository will contain only a single package...
            ... Not anytime soon: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?...iner=&flagged=
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

And that's just the core repo, not everything in that is even installed by default:
              Code:
              $ pacman -Sl core |wc -l -
              193 -
              $ pacman -Sl core | grep "\[installed\]" | wc -l -
              137 -
              The difference in number is from the website listing arch-dependent packages twice.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                Is this brand new development or adopting/adapting something like Chrony under the systemd umbrella?
                NTP control have been a feature since early development of systemd, so while this SNTPv4 client is new, it isn't anything new that systemd controls NTP, time, date and timezone setting. This client seems very much targeted towards embedded systems like the Raspberry Pi that lacks a RTC (real time clock).

Despite the impression that some people get, systemd have been rather focused in its development over the years.

Comment

Awesome. NTP is pretty hard to set up... Even now I'm not really certain if it works well on my HTPC/computing server. So having something simpler will be much appreciated.

Comment

They should have called it kitchensync -- finally systemd is feature-complete!

Originally posted by strcat View Post
                    The various *BSD operating systems are a good comparison, since the kernel and core userspace are developed in a single repository, and systemd aims to provide the core userspace of an operating system.
                    It is becoming remarkably like a BSD in of itself. Is systemd-libc next?
                    Last edited by stevenc; 28 May 2014, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenc View Post
                      It is becoming remarkably like a BSD in of itself. Is systemd-libc next?
                      Originally posted by Lennart Poettering
                      [systemd-devel] [HEADSUP] New module ?libc? in systemd git
                      Yep!

We figured to complete the systemd project we were still lacking an
                      email program[1]. In order to get this off the ground quickly we noticed
                      we?d need a libc first.
                      Technically, this move makes perfectly sense, too. We are sick of
                      supporting unstable glibc APIs and ABIs, and we believe that we greatly
                      benefit from the fact that we now finally have everything the OS
                      userspace consists of in one single repository.
                      Last edited by FLHerne; 28 May 2014, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X