Seeking Keyboard Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serge View Post
    Unfortunatley, the QPAD MK-60 isn't on their site and Google didn't turn anything up useful. Seems like that model's not around anymore. The MK80 is a very nice keyboard, though, so thanks for pointing me there. It's a model I will keep in consideration.
    Guessing that was a typo and Vim_User meant MK-50. Doesn't look like anyone ever even searched for MK-60.
    Test signature

Comment

BTW the extra space from having a compact keyboard helped so much that I ordered 2 more compact KBs to replace the other full size KBs I use at home. I needed at least one of them to be narrower than the K65 from front to back, and wanted to try Blue switches at home alongside the red, so ended up ordering 1 Razer BW Tournament and one CM QuickFire Rapid, both with blue keyswitches.

In hindsight I probably could have gone with the CM Rapid and another K65 (since I really like both the KB and the red keyswitches), but it'll be interesting to compare the keyboards... (/me thinks for a bit)... hmm, might see if I can change the order.
      Test signature

Comment

I believe you want a WASD Mechanical Keyboard.

Cheers!

Comment

I'm quite happy with my Noppoo Choc Mini with cherry browns. It's not a full size keyboard and does have some minor issues with Linux support, however. I.e. caps lock led and SysRq don't work from within X, although works fine from the console. Perhaps there is a workaround but I haven't found one as of yet.

It's quite comfortable and probably a bit cheaper than the other suggestions. Also has other switch types if you prefer. It qas only available on ebay at the time I bought it, but might be sold at other places now.

Comment

+1 for ducky, with blue switches for your purposes.

Other keyboards:
            Ergodox (ergonomic, expensive, cusomisable, DIY)
            KBC Poker (compact)
            Noppoo Choc Mini (compact)
            Torpe (not very tactile, expensive, but very smooth and great feeling keyboards)

I use Torpe at work and ducky (brown switch) at home.

I have an ergodox being shipped, with blue switches to replace my torpe at work.
            Will probably get another with red switches for home.

Programmer and gamer.

Comment

[QUOTE=Serge;399362]Hi everyone,

I have been a proud and happy user of IBM / Lexmark Model M keyboards for many years now. However, I've decided that it is time for me to join the modern era and get a keyboard that uses one of those newfangled USB interconnects and a Windows key. So I am soliciting suggestions for a new keyboard.

Second the CM Quickfire TK with Cherry Blue switches, although I believe that you can get them with Black or Brown ones.
              They are a good balance of size and functionality, and feel very solid.

Of course, I can't imagine what one would use the Windows key for...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Guessing that was a typo and Vim_User meant MK-50. Doesn't look like anyone ever even searched for MK-60.
                Indeed, that was a typo. Sorry for that.

[QUOTE=bittwiddler;400146]
                Originally posted by Serge View Post
                Of course, I can't imagine what one would use the Windows key for...
                Actually, the Windows key can be quite handy, since it is not used by any application I know of, so you can use it for keyboard shortcuts without interfering with other applications.

Comment

If you like Model Ms, have you considered a Unicomp keyboard?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    BTW the extra space from having a compact keyboard helped so much that I ordered 2 more compact KBs to replace the other full size KBs I use at home. I needed at least one of them to be narrower than the K65 from front to back, and wanted to try Blue switches at home alongside the red, so ended up ordering 1 Razer BW Tournament and one CM QuickFire Rapid, both with blue keyswitches.

In hindsight I probably could have gone with the CM Rapid and another K65 (since I really like both the KB and the red keyswitches), but it'll be interesting to compare the keyboards... (/me thinks for a bit)... hmm, might see if I can change the order.
                    I am curious to see how you, as a satisfied user of Red switches, will feel about Blue switches, so for my own selfish reasons I hope you do not change your order. =)

Regarding the advantages of compact keyboards, I completely agree, and want to point out the other advantage of more convenient mobility. The more I think about it, the more I realize that perhaps I should be thinking about a compact design more seriously, especially with NKRO so that I can replicate the functionality I get out of the keypad through longer multi-key combos.

Comment

Originally posted by alexcortes View Post
                      I believe you want a WASD Mechanical Keyboard.

Cheers!
                      Very nice. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                      X