No announcement yet.

Google Opens Up VP8, Launches New Container Format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's impossible to be certain about what the market will do.

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    That won't happen for quite a long time I'm afraid if at all even with no patent issues at present. To improve it they would most likely have to start looking at techniques that are already patented and that closes that road down. They also have to contend with device manufacturers and not many will bring out a new product to support an inferior format to what they presently have now. For it to truly be adopted in large masses it still has to provide a superior solution in capabilities to the status quo. By that time it is very likely that the MPEG-LA group will have something out to eclipse h264 and once again the gap widens between the opensource alternatives. If VP8 debuted at the same time as h264 it might of had a fighting chance in mass adoption but the market is firmly entrenched in h264 already. We saw this with mp3 and ogg years back. MP3 was already widely adopted and ogg remains a obscure item that few devices support.
    I'm not sure about this. For one thing, a simple addition of B-frames would increase the efficiency of VP8 by about 20% (according to that x264 dev). B-frames might be patented, but I would be surprised since it is such an obvious extension to P-frames. Now, while that would certainly break the binary, so what? How many hardware decoders do they have? Speaking of hardware, did you see the list of partners Google assembled? http://www.webmproject.org/about/supporters/
    That's a who's who of the mobile hardware sector. Marvell/Qualcomm/Imagination, there you have the guys who can create the dsps needed for the devices. It's a matter of time, really, and there's not a huge hurry, I don't think. But, you might mention the next gen codec successor to m4p10? Ars had an interesting article about codecs a few months back. It was thought that we are rapidly approaching diminishing returns (which one could say we've reached already with h264 which, while better than ASP, is much harder to decode) and pretty much the best we could expect from the next codec would be a 20% improvement, and that comes at a tremendous cost in complexity. I don't know how true that is, but I don't recall hearing anyone arguing that number from the comments. If you know more I'd be interested in hearing about it since there's not a ton of info out there.
    As for MP3, that was created back in the early 90's I believe. Vorbis didn't have a stable bitstream until 2000 and software didn't exist until 2002. This was too late, plus they had nobody behind them, to my knowledge.
    Also, VP8, by it's definition, should be easier to decode than h264 so it may not be impossible to simply play the file directly on the processor (probably need to actually make use of the NEON extensions, though). This should work until Goog's partners have had enough time to shipout the new DSPs .

I'm certainly not saying that VP8 is a sure thing, but it's got as good a backing as one can hope, and from the reference pics that were shown on the x264 blog, the difference wasn't tremedous, IMHO.

Best/Liam

Comment

After having posted earlier, I wanted to go back and write a little bit more. Grr! 60 second timeouts!

Anyway, in comparing what happened between Vorbis and MP3 10 years ago, we have to remember that Vorbis never really got any traction in the mobile space, and many default software audio players did not include Vorbis support. In particular, I'm thinking of WMP and Quicktime.

The situation is quite different this time around. We have a broad base of software vendors and hardware suppliers who will be making WebM a usable reality. This is an important difference from what happened last time. Concerning the Windows side, look for WebM to be included with other Google software in OEM default installs.

You might bring out the example of HD-DVD and Blueray. In that case, there was a fairly large prize involved for the winner, and Sony was willing to buy the finish line. If you can find a huge revenue windfall for MPEG-LA should they be the exclusive HQ codec vendor, then I might entertain the similarity and look for them to make a big move against WebM.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
        Yes, but we all know that from that day on we will have to pay if h.264 is the standard web video format.
        Actually we don't know that at all. We know it will be re-evaluated just as it was this year. By that time it is entirely possible that MPEG-LA will have another solution to replace h264 as well. h264 could just as easily remain under the current terms come 2015.

Comment

Actually we don't know that at all. We know it will be re-evaluated just as it was this year. By that time it is entirely possible that MPEG-LA will have another solution to replace h264 as well. h264 could just as easily remain under the current terms come 2015.
          Too much uncertainty though. Don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
            Speaking of hardware, did you see the list of partners Google assembled? http://www.webmproject.org/about/supporters/
            Looks like the list of openCL supporters doesn't it? Also remember those are not exclusive partners. Many of them are h264 supporters as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
              Too much uncertainty though. Don't you think?
              Just as much uncertainty as patent infringement by VP8.

Comment

VP8 might not be up to the standard of h.264 but it'll certainly do the trick for the purposes of web video. With our ever-improving bandwidth and storage capacities, any heavily compressed video standard is only going to have a finite lifespan.

Comment

Heh... Not to hear them tell it. More to the point, you don't know WHAT they're going to do- and won't until things are done by them...unless you're privy to their stuff and breaching NDAs right now...

Comment

Looks like the list of openCL supporters doesn't it? Also remember those are not exclusive partners. Many of them are h264 supporters as well.
                    http://www.khronos.org/opencl/
                    Uh... deanjo... WHAT does this have to do with a video codec?

Keep in mind that OpenCL's not about video but about parallel computing and taking advantage of GPGPU and SPE type programming in machines. It should be noted that at least TWO of the KEY players in OpenCL ARE on the WebM signatories- AMD and Nvidia. If things were as big and bad as you're making it out to be, they'd not be on that list of companies.

Comment

Originally posted by etnlWings View Post
                      VP8 might not be up to the standard of h.264 but it'll certainly do the trick for the purposes of web video. With our ever-improving bandwidth and storage capacities, any heavily compressed video standard is only going to have a finite lifespan.
                      Baseline to baseline, they're fairly close in quality from what I understand- which is why Google did this in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                      X