Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Mac OS X 10.7 DP2 Battles Ubuntu 10.10

Phoronix: Apple Mac OS X 10.7 DP2 Battles Ubuntu 10.10

Upon the release of the first Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" Developer Preview, we had delivered early benchmarks of this Apple operating system slated for release this summer. Since then, there has been the release of Mac OS X 10.7 Developer Preview 2 (DP2) so we have carried out an updated set of Mac OS X 10.7 performance benchmarks. This also includes a comparative look at the Mac OS X Lion performance against Ubuntu Linux 10.10.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ubuntu + nvidia blob?

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
      ubuntu + nvidia blob?
      With Ubuntu 10.10 x86_64 we were using a stock package set of the Linux 2.6.35-22-generic kernel, X.Org Server 1.9.0, NVIDIA 260.19.06 binary driver
      ..........and?

Comment

hmm?

Why is Ubuntu 11.04 not in the test participant list?

You can consider the current ubuntu beta also a 'developer preview'. It would give a much fairer and complete comparison.

pity

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          i really do not unterstand this benchmark ???

because all is stock but an manuelly installed old gcc???

only because apple do not like the GPLv3!!!!

macos is slow in compiling with the GCC because they do not like the GPLv3 thats all!

its apple fault ... so you don't test the OS in this benchmark you only test a fictional scenario with no reality sense.
          I thought GCC 4.2.1 is deprecated in Lion and LLVM is now the default for Lion. So perhaps it'd makes sense to do the benchmarks using LLVM across Snow Leopard, Lion, and Ubuntu.

Originally posted by accumulator View Post
          Why is Ubuntu 11.04 not in the test participant list?

You can consider the current ubuntu beta also a 'developer preview'. It would give a much fairer and complete comparison.

pity
          This testing compares the performance of Mac OS X 10.6.6, Mac OS X 10.7 Developer Preview 1 (Build 11A390), Mac OS X 10.7 Developer Preview 2 (Build 11A419), and lastly for reference were Ubuntu 10.10 x86_64 benchmarks.
          The article clearly states that the Ubuntu results are provided for reference. Using a stable, released OS as a reference seems perfectly reasonable. Besides, if the goal were to compared cutting edge releases, even the OS X results are behind since Snow Leopard is at 10.6.7 not 10.6.6 and the latest Lion build is 11A430e not 11A419.

Comment

macos is slow in compiling with the GCC because they do not like the GPLv3 thats all!

its apple fault ... so you don't test the OS in this benchmark you only test a fictional scenario with no reality sense.
            Funny, as when I publish OS benchmarks that use the upstream packaged compiler for each OS, people complain loudly as well that it's then an inaccurate comparison.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

people will always complain no matter what

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Funny, as when I publish OS benchmarks that use the upstream packaged compiler for each OS, people complain loudly as well that it's then an inaccurate comparison.
                Well, you basically had two choices here, either choose the same compiler version or use default stock compiler. With the first choice people complain as it in fact is unrealistic scenario and with the second choice people would complain that it is unfair comparing different versions etc. I'd say stick to your "default" motto and show a finger to people telling you otherwise...

Comment

Good point! I didn't even notice, because it was obvious to me default GCC is used! Really lame.

Comment

Originally posted by ltcommander.data View Post
                    I thought GCC 4.2.1 is deprecated in Lion and LLVM is now the default for Lion. So perhaps it'd makes sense to do the benchmarks using LLVM across Snow Leopard, Lion, and Ubuntu.
                    Ubuntu doesn't use llvm for default. Llvm can't even compile Linux. It's logical GCC which is shipped with Ubuntu should be used.

Comment

Working...
                    X