Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Week Is GDC: Great News For Linux Gamers

Phoronix: This Week Is GDC: Great News For Linux Gamers

Beginning today in San Francisco is the Game Developers Conference, where Linux gaming will be a popular topic, and will feature live Phoronix coverage later in the week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

- Microsoft is expected to be talking about DirectX 12.
    Next year they will be talking about switching to OpenGL.

Comment

- Microsoft is expected to be talking about DirectX 12.
      I fail to see how that's great news for Linux gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by clementl View Post
        I fail to see how that's great news for Linux gamers.
        MS still can push Nvidia & AMD & Intel around.

So if they force all 3 to standardize on some feature level.. Then ARB will have easier time pushing better OpenGL.

Need example? Look at some good ARB extensions, which are just ARB extensions cause AMD or Nvidia won't implement them in hw fast enough... :|

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
          And Hell will freeze... oh wait, Windows freezes all the time ... bad joke sorry lol

I compared how many times some keywords appear in the 2013 and 2014 GDC session schedule (2014 vs 2013):
          DirectX: 21 vs 45 (-53%)
          OpenGL: 17 vs 27 (-37%)
          Microsoft: 38 vs 79 (-52%)
          Windows: 13 vs 59 (-78%)
          Sony: 26 vs 53 (-51%)
          Linux: 0 vs 7 (-100%)
          Ubuntu: 0 vs 0
          SteamOS: 0 vs 0
          Valve: 5 vs 23 (-78%)
          Android: 28 vs 40 (-30%)
          Mac: 0 vs 2 (-100%)
          OS X: 0 vs 1 (-100%)
          iOS: 54 vs 101 (-47%)
          Xbox: 44 vs 13 (+238%)
          PlayStation 23 vs 20 (+15%)
          EA: 17 vs 46 (-63%)
          NVIDIA: 38 vs 66 (-42%)
          AMD: 25 vs 48 (-48%)
          Intel: 35 vs 77 (-56%)
          Open Source: 7 vs 6 (+14%)
          Proprietary: 2 vs 4 (-50%)
          Unity: 55 vs 51 (+8%)
          Amazon: 54 vs 11 (+390%)

Speakers from some companies:
          Valve: 3 vs 7 (-57%)
          Microsoft: 13 vs 19 (-32%)
          AMD: 12 vs 31 (-61%)
          Intel: 4 vs 14 (-71%)
          NVIDIA: 19 vs 37 (-49%)
          Red Hat: 1 vs 0 (+100%) (I was surprised to see Red Hat, the session is: IGDA Open Source and Free Culture SIG Roundtable)
          Canonical: 0 vs 0 (just checking since Red Hat is there...)
          Amazon: 17 vs 3 (+467%)

Is seems Amazon is getting serious about entering the gaming world and Microsoft is paying A LOT to talk about the XBox...

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
            MS still can push Nvidia & AMD & Intel around.
            AMD most probably for obvious reasons.
            NVIDIA not sure, Microsoft doesn't really have any leverage with them, sure, they could pay them but knowing NVIDIA they would just take the money and keep doing what they want...
            Intel, I really doubt it, considering how much damage Microsoft is causing to Intel (kicked out of Nokia; Asus dual OS devices, idea supported by Intel, killed just a few days ago) I actually expect Intel answering with even better Linux/Tizen (not even Android) support.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
              Yeah.... no.

Comment

nVidia's new Maxwell architecture won't even support DirectX 11.1, let alone 11.2 or the upcoming 12.0. And besides Battlefield 4, I don't know a single game that uses DirectX 11.1 and none that uses 11.2. And AMD users switched to the Mantle renderer, so the DX 11.1 renderer is pointless now. And DirectX 12 won't be here until at least 2015/2016... good luck, MS.

Also MS wants to unify Windows and Windows Phone and they want/need as many apps and games as possible and when iOS and Android use OpenGL ES, then Microsoft will need to push that aswell, because no one wants to port their games to DirectX just for Windows Phone etc., so while Microsoft will keep using DirectX themselves, I expect them to "give up the fight" against OpenGL soon. Especially with the new CEO who doesn't care about Microsoft's consumer products anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by fedesog View Post
                  I compared how many times some keywords appear in the 2013 and 2014 GDC session schedule (2014 vs 2013):
                  How did you get these counts? My independent counts do not match.

Download schedule in CSV format from site. Some of the columns have giant html blocks, so I extract just the title column to a separate file with R:

d <- read.csv("full_schedule.csv", TRUE)
                  write.table(d$session.title,"titles.csv")

Use grep to count:

grep -i "amazon" titles.csv | wc
                  grep -i "[^b]ios" titles.csv | wc
                  grep -i "valve" titles.csv | wc
                  grep -i "math" titles.csv | wc
                  grep -i "ps3" titles.csv | wc
                  grep -i "ps4" titles.csv | wc
                  grep -i "playstation" titles.csv | wc

amazon: 9 (all have "Presented by Amazon" in title, not necessarily about Amazon products).
                  iOS: 7
                  Valve: 0
                  math: 7
                  ps3: 1
                  ps4: 1
                  playstation: 2

Comment

I used grep as well (grep "word" -ow | wc -l) but I started from the pdf cutting and pasting to a txt file (I had that already before deciding to use grep to count words) so probably the difference is there. I don't exclude some error, I was jumping between articles counting words as soon as they came to mind and I didn't double check any number.

Comment

Working...
                    X