Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Continues With Mesa Changes For Valve

Phoronix: Intel Continues With Mesa Changes For Valve

Intel open-source developers continue to make changes to Mesa at the request of Valve Software's Linux team...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This for radeon, pretty please? AMD's official linux tools are completely useless (fglrx + gdebugger).

If this continues, I'm going to have to buy an ivy

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      This for radeon, pretty please? AMD's official linux tools are completely useless (fglrx + gdebugger).

If this continues, I'm going to have to buy an ivy
      There was a comment on the Valve blog by someone of the team that said that they have yet to collaborate with the other FOSS driver teams (radeon, Nouveau). Don't know why they haven't done it yet but i really hope they do.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        There was a comment on the Valve blog by someone of the team that said that they have yet to collaborate with the other FOSS driver teams (radeon, Nouveau). Don't know why they haven't done it yet but i really hope they do.
        I personally put them in contact with mupuf of Nouveau.... Corbin Simpson of Radeon too.... Corbin was supposed to be flying out there a few weeks ago for an interview or something but haven't heard back since. Last I heard from mupuf is that they weren't really communicating and then yeah not sure if they're oding anything with Corbin right now.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I personally put them in contact with mupuf of Nouveau.... Corbin Simpson of Radeon too.... Corbin was supposed to be flying out there a few weeks ago for an interview or something but haven't heard back since. Last I heard from mupuf is that they weren't really communicating and then yeah not sure if they're oding anything with Corbin right now.
          Yeah i know they had contact with them. But i thought they were looking to employ those guys and not have them improve the drivers directly. Anyway.

As for why they haven't done anything more i have no idea. I hope that at some point they will invite the devs to their offices to play around.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Yep, haven't heard back from them. Let's hope they don't forget us.

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
              Yep, haven't heard back from them. Let's hope they don't forget us.
              Hope i am wrong on this but i suspect they don't care much -at least at the moment. They collaborated with the FOSS intel team because there is nothing else for intel. On the ATI and nVidia front they are collaborating with the blob teams.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                Hope i am wrong on this but i suspect they don't care much -at least at the moment. They collaborated with the FOSS intel team because there is nothing else for intel. On the ATI and nVidia front they are collaborating with the blob teams.
                I'm sure that's exactly it - I don't know why nobody hasn't come realize that yet. I'm not entirely sure but I think the Source Engine requires opengl 3.2, which the FOSS drivers don't support yet.

I'm sure in Valve's point of view, they want a customer experience that is complete and consistent. That's why they want proprietary drivers (or drivers that are 99% actively developed by 1 company, like intel's) and why they chose to work with Canonical. The fact that Valve has even attempted cooperating with FOSS drivers or the blob drivers for that matter is pretty commendable. The fact that they're making a linux release at all is just plain awesome.

For those who are whining that the radeon and noveau drivers arne't getting (as much) attention is just plain aggravating to me. Yes, they need improvement, but don't think that's why valve is ignoring them in the first place? That's like telling a doctor to heal someone with cancer when there's someone with the flu who can actually be healed quickly. I support the efforts of radeon and nouvea and they've made a lot of progress, but valve attempting to fix them is a waste of their time and resources when there's already a functioning and better performing alternative. I personally would prefer steam and the source engine be released within a month on blob drivers than wait a half year or more so they fix up the FOSS.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I'm not entirely sure but I think the Source Engine requires opengl 3.2
                  OpenGL 3.0 is enough for Source Engine on OS X.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                    OpenGL 3.0 is enough for Source Engine on OS X.
                    well regardless, IIRC, opengl 3.0 is still incomplete for FOSS drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X