Completely BROKEN KWIN with KMS/Radeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely BROKEN KWIN with KMS/Radeon

KDE 4.4 Beta's KWin window manager is utterly broken with the radeon driver (v4.3.67).

It would be very nice is someone in the radeon developer gang could install the new fancy KDE 4.4 beta technology and figure out what is going on. The old and dusty KDE 4.3 KWin appeared to work close to perfectly. The new KWin will for some reason not redraw much of the screen, if you move some window around then it leaves traces all over the place.

I have not tested the fancy new KWin with any other graphics card, driver or computer for that matter, but I assume that someone in the KDE gang would have noticed this amount of fsckup if it had affected everything.

thanks for reading all of this.

A recent update blew up Kwin (I'm running KDE 4.3)

I had this problem a long time ago, while using XRender effects, back when there was no functioning OpenGL acceleration with free drivers. Then, it was gone, and OpenGL compositing worked perfectly.

A recent update broke it again. There are strange-coloured shadows around windows and windows don't redraw unless you move them.

Comment

This is a bug which was introduced by a change in mesa. KDE version is not relevant.

Revert to commit 48dfd3938e428295c45692cfde0a2afff04a7970 or earlier.
      Last edited by chithanh; 29 November 2009, 08:37 PM. Reason: add link to bugs.fdo

Comment

Yep I've been having this problem too on 4.3.

Comment

Ihave this problem too.

Comment

I had the same problem on gnome, if I used the virtual directive in xorg.conf (for multi monitor stuff).

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
              Yep I've been having this problem too on 4.3.
              Thank you for clarifying this! My bad I just blindly assumed it was kwins fault when I updated that, I update radeon git so frequently that I "forgot" about that. thankz. Guess it's up to the AMD assets to fix this, then.

Comment

Originally posted by barkas View Post
                I had the same problem on gnome, if I used the virtual directive in xorg.conf (for multi monitor stuff).
                I obviously also abuse the virtual directive. What else would one do, use only one monitor?? "One monitor should be enough for anyone"? NO.

Comment

same here. :'(

Comment

Same here.
                    Using libdrm and xf86-video-ati from git pulled on 11/28 with mesa from 11/14 works well but as soon as I upgrade mesa to git pulled on the 11/28 and I get artifacts all over the place.

Comment

Working...
                    X