Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Final Beta Is Out For Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr"

Phoronix: The Final Beta Is Out For Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr"

The final beta release is out of the upcoming Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty Tahr" Long-Term Support release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Ubuntu release cycle really sickens me.

Every 6 months the devs hope and pray that right kernel, X stuff, Mesa, gcc etc land in time.

It barely missed the cutoff? There's still a lot of unfixable bugs that can't be patched through backports? Oh well, there's always next release.

Why not just release when you have something worth releasing? No need for rolling if you follow Fedora's model.

Arbitrary dates and have no place in development when you are pulling in code from hundreds of projects.

Comment

ya

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post

Every 6 months the devs hope and pray that right kernel, X stuff, Mesa, gcc etc land in time.

It barely missed the cutoff? There's still a lot of unfixable bugs that can't be patched through backports? Oh well, there's always next release.

Why not just release when you have something worth releasing? No need for rolling if you follow Fedora's model.

Arbitrary dates and have no place in development when you are pulling in code from hundreds of projects.
      ya because of this "Arbitrary dates" almost no one uses fedora, and no one wants fedora as oem OS, and another thing in august ubuntu 14.04.1 arrives probaly with new kernel and mesa stack

Comment

Here's a good rundown on all the new stuff.

I've been using it for a month now and 14.04 feels every bit as solid as 12.04. I'm glad they tend to do a good job on LTS's.

Comment

No need for rolling if you follow Fedora's model.
          A rolling release still gets you most upgrades faster, and you have a slow incremental rate of change to deal with rather than a sudden shift with a trickle of cherry picked upgrades. It's not for everyone, but I greatly prefer it to any release cycle. The rare hiccups cause me far less trouble than having to build lots of packages myself and deal with the shock of encountering *many* new bugs on a new release. Instead, it's easy to track down the culprit upgrade, report it upstream and downgrade that one package.
          Last edited by strcat; 28 March 2014, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Fantastic!

I've been waiting for this for a looooong time.
            Er, two years to be precise (hur hur)

I support a few Ubuntu computers for a few people around the place and stable releases with planned upgrade dates are a good thing.

Last thing I need is unexpected failures.
            Not that I don't trust the ubuntu package updates, they have proven to be (now) stable.

Comment

That's what Debian had before Ubuntu... And it took years to get from 3 to 4

Comment

Working...
              X