Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Direct3D-OpenGL Layer Will Likely Not Benefit Wine

Phoronix: Valve's Direct3D-OpenGL Layer Will Likely Not Benefit Wine

A few days ago Valve open-sourced their Direct3D to OpenGL translation layer. While there was some hope that it would benefit Wine, that doesn't appear to be the case...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

good shape?

good shape wine diretx9.0? i have diferent opinion, when it works it works bad, really bad, really bad fps. valve port games? well they work well very well, i miss something here?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
      good shape wine diretx9.0? i have diferent opinion, when it works it works bad, really bad, really bad fps. valve port games? well they work well very well, i miss something here?
      well... i may be wrong but wine "emulates" everything to run on linux wich makes it very complex and hard, and valves thing only "emulates" DirectX and everything else is native.
      this may explain why its better even tho is "worst".
      i may be wrong, but im sure someone will correct me if i am

Comment

I have different opinion

Many games had working at this time, if you want know see my youtube channel

or my blog with results since 2009

However issues can be still present example (from my own experience on wine): lanten bug on alan wake, MPEG support sequences, 360 mouse movement degree error on some games at fullscreen and other things (and many of them not by solve in short time, big changes on wine requires big time of work)

But in middle of this many games work and results can by change of one game to another game

Comment

I'm guessing you are not using CSMT? Performance between Source games run under Wine with CSMT and native Linux is actually quite close.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
            well... i may be wrong but wine "emulates" everything to run on linux wich makes it very complex and hard, and valves thing only "emulates" DirectX and everything else is native.
            this may explain why its better even tho is "worst".
            i may be wrong, but im sure someone will correct me if i am
            Dont exactly, WINE (Wine Is a Not Emulator) work translating directx calls to opengl but this process cause overhead (in some games is less in others is much)

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
              WINE (Wine Is a Not Emulator) work translating directx calls to opengl
              ToGL does the same, check page 22 and 23[?]. I think the point from TheSoulz was that Wine has to translate more (all the Windows APIs). Also my question from here[?] (why does Valve release a stripped-down version optimized for Dota 2 instead of the full source) still stands.

[?] https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/d...to%20Linux.pdf
              [?] http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...066#post404066

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
                ToGL does the same, check page 22 and 23[?]. I think the point from TheSoulz was that Wine has to translate more (all the Windows APIs). Also my question from here[?] (why does Valve release a stripped-down version optimized for Dota 2 instead of the full source) still stands.

[?] https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/d...to%20Linux.pdf
                [?] http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...066#post404066
                this is exacly what i meant

Comment

ToGL benefiting Wine? Who the hell comes up with that kind of nonsense?
                  Also, unless your Direct3D engine targets the decade old 9.0c the way Valve does to support WinXP users, ToGL is of absolutely no use to you. The code drop in general was merely "for reference"; as already mentioned, it is optimized only for the API usages the Source engine has and was never meant to be a complete 9.0c implementation.

Comment

If nobody bitched about it, you probably still wouldn't write summaries after your 10 page testing orgies, so here is another one:
                    First thing: Dude, learn your prepositions. Don't use "per"! You are pretty much the only person on this mudball who uses it (in every f* article!) and you're doing it wrong, which sickens my Asperger.
                    If you write about articles without going into details (like in a passing mention), use "as per" or better "via" (or even better: cite! Use scholar.google.com and look how it is done) and if you point out stuff "in" other articles, forget your latin and use "in". Yeah... best forget your latin forever and always use "in". Or hire/marry a journalist/writer if you can't write.

Second thing: The Wine D3D support is almost complete and acts like an external library which makes it useful for general use, while this translation foo is used as part of the game's engine code and pretty much tailored to the Valve games. This explains why it is limited and not useful for wine.

Comment

Working...
                    X