Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce 8200 IGP

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce 8200 IGP

Back in March we had looked at the Radeon HD 3200 graphics found on AMD 780G motherboards. With the Catalyst Linux driver the Radeon HD 3200 had performed about the same speed as the discrete Radeon HD 2400PRO graphics card, which we were quite pleased with considering its integrated and low-power design. The Radeon HD 3200 also offers support for DisplayPort and HDMI, but it's up to the motherboard vendor which output connections they wish to utilize. The Radeon HD 3200 / 780G certainly impressed us, but today we are looking at NVIDIA's latest IGP offering for AMD's Phenom platform. While not all of these features are available to Linux customers, the GeForce 8200 supports DirectX 10, PureVideo HD, GeForce Boost, Hybrid SLI, and other leading edge features. Though between the Radeon HD 3200 and GeForce 8200, which IGP offering reigns supreme under Linux? In this article we'll tell you our thoughts.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally some useful information on actually trying these IGP's in Linux.

I want so bad to buy a mobo with one of these chipsets for my computers.

It's a huge dilemma though, which do you choose the 3200 or the 8200.

I am currently using the 690g Gigabyte Mobo and BE-2350 for my HTPC, and I haven't even screwed around with it in Linux yet. I think the 8200 is the choice for me on the Windows side just for the 8 channel LPCM capabilities (although it isn't actually supported yet). I really jumped the gun with buying the 690g not realizing that I would need a beefy CPU for hi-def content.

I want so bad to be able to make my HTPC a Mythbuntu box and be able to at least play 1080p .mkv and .mov files smoothly, but it looks like neither of these Chipsets are ready for this yet.

I also really like the 6 SATA ports on both of these mobo's for me to replace my main file server. I want to start with a 3x1TB Software Raid5 with Ubuntu 8.04 and then go up from there, maybe I will have to wait till October for 8.10

Comment

My main concern is with video playback. I run Mythtv on my system now and I need to replace a bad motherboard. The question is 8200 or 780G. Did you do any video playback when comparing the two boards? I'm sure that with the beefy phenom processor that you tested with, either will be more than capable, but how about with something more around the style of a Athlon X2 4850e? Since XvMC isn't supported (or any of the nice hardware acceleration) on the 8200, can I smoothly playback a 1080p clip with X Video (on either board)?

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
        My main concern is with video playback. I run Mythtv on my system now and I need to replace a bad motherboard. The question is 8200 or 780G. Did you do any video playback when comparing the two boards? I'm sure that with the beefy phenom processor that you tested with, either will be more than capable, but how about with something more around the style of a Athlon X2 4850e? Since XvMC isn't supported (or any of the nice hardware acceleration) on the 8200, can I smoothly playback a 1080p clip with X Video (on either board)?
        That would be very dependent on a few things such as bitrate on the 1080p clip. I can play 1080p clips that do not have high bitrates fine on a system with a 4200+ and 7200GS card. Higher bitrate clips as well if mplayer with the CoreAVC patch used.

Comment

Ok, so here's the deal breaker.

I want to run Ubuntu 8.04 (Or Possibly Mythbuntu, I haven't tried it yet, I probably will quick to see what I think) in my server. And the main thing I want from either of these chipsets is easy plug and play dual monitor support. I did see in the article that Fedora worked well with the 8200, how about dual monitor?

In which configuration (OS and Hardware) was plug and play dual monitor successful with these IGP's?

Thanks.

Comment

Probably

Originally posted by HwyXingFrog View Post
            Ok, so here's the deal breaker.

I want to run Ubuntu 8.04 (Or Possibly Mythbuntu, I haven't tried it yet, I probably will quick to see what I think) in my server. And the main thing I want from either of these chipsets is easy plug and play dual monitor support. I did see in the article that Fedora worked well with the 8200, how about dual monitor?

In which configuration (OS and Hardware) was plug and play dual monitor successful with these IGP's?

Thanks.
            I would think that setting up dual monitors would be dependent on the drivers available fron Nvidia and ATI. I had no trouble setting up dual 19" 1280x1024s with Nvidia binaries on SUSE 9 and 10, as well as PCLOS and Linux Mint. They are closed source though and I never got them ot install right with Ubuntu. That may be easier now though.

This was/is on a system with an AMD 3200 64 (754 socket) and Nvidia 5200, 6200, 6800XT cards.

I don't have any ATI cards presently so I can't say about them, but from what I'm reading their open source drivers would now do the job, if you're intent on Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by LenS View Post
              This was/is on a system with an AMD 3200 64 (754 socket) and Nvidia 5200, 6200, 6800XT cards.
              But none of this was using dual monitors on the AMD 780g or Geforce 8200 integrated chipsets, correct?

I understand completely in depends on the drivers installed, I am curious about success stories involving these specific (780g or 8200) integrated chipsets though.

The AMD 780g and Geforce 8200 are the gist of this thread, aren't they. I have absolutely no interest PCI-Express or AGP video cards. All the systems I am building are with Dual Monitor or Hi-Definition HTPC using only the integrated chipset (IGP)

For example, here are two motherboards that I am possibly choosing between:

AMD/ATI 780g

NVidia Geforce 8200

Both are HDMI/DVI/VGA, and are supposed to support Hi-Def Hardware Decoding (In Windows). One major thing I am also curious about is the capability of being able to play a Blu-Ray Movie straight from disc on either of these chipsets.

I am really waiting for some results someone has for these tests in linux:
              1) Dual monitor with 780g or GF8200
              2) Blu-Ray playback with 780g or GF8200

Thanks.

Comment

Both are HDMI/DVI/VGA, and are supposed to support Hi-Def Hardware Decoding (In Windows). One major thing I am also curious about is the capability of being able to play a Blu-Ray Movie straight from disc on either of these chipsets.

I am really waiting for some results someone has for these tests in linux:
                1) Dual monitor with 780g or GF8200
                2) Blu-Ray playback with 780g or GF8200

Thanks.
                You won't see Blu-Ray tests in linux. It's simply not possible without stripping the copyprotection first.
                r

Comment

But none of this was using dual monitors on the AMD 780g or Geforce 8200 integrated chipsets, correct?

I understand completely in depends on the drivers installed, I am curious about success stories involving these specific (780g or 8200) integrated chipsets though.

The AMD 780g and Geforce 8200 are the gist of this thread, aren't they. I have absolutely no interest PCI-Express or AGP video cards. All the systems I am building are with Dual Monitor or Hi-Definition HTPC using only the integrated chipset (IGP)

Thanks.
                  You don't seem to realize that GPUs are GPUs. It doesn't matter if they're on the mobo, PCIex, or AGP. If my old GeForce 5200 will run 2 monitors the MUCH NEWER 8200 Nvidia will too, on the mobo or in a PCIe slot. Whether you can install the Nvidia binaries in Ubuntu is another question.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    You won't see Blu-Ray tests in linux. It's simply not possible without stripping the copyprotection first.
                    r
                    What about libdvdcss? or doesn't that work with blu-ray?

Comment

Working...
                    X