Clear All

• r730 = RHDDRIPreInit: Version check failed. Disabling DRI

I have upgraded to kernel 2-69.6
    I have upgraded Xorg
    I have upgraded libdrm
    I have upgraded Mesa
    I installed radeonhd 1.3.0

I have been working on this for 3 days and I can't get DRI with radeonhd
    or radeon, and fglrx just locks up my machine.

lsmod shows:
    radeon 144928 0
    drm 137856 1 radeon

Wait; I just noticed this in the Xorg.log

(II) Module radeonhd: vendor="AMD GPG"
    compiled for 1.6.1, module version = 1.2.5
    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 5.0

I upgraded to xf86-video-radeonhd.1.3.0, Where do I get the kernel module for 1.3.0? Now I"m confused..

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Generally folks heree would probably recommend 'radeon' over 'radeonhd'. However, as long as you aren't using KMS, either would work. What is 'kernel 2-69.6'? You say you upgraded Xorg, libdrm, and Mesa, but you don't say what versions of those you are using. Can you please attach your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file to a post here?

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by adamk View Post
      Generally folks heree would probably recommend 'radeon' over 'radeonhd'. However, as long as you aren't using KMS, either would work. What is 'kernel 2-69.6'? You say you upgraded Xorg, libdrm, and Mesa, but you don't say what versions of those you are using. Can you please attach your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file to a post here?

Adam
      Here's a link:
      http://larry.webhop.net/misc/Xorg.0.log

Comment

Honestly, I think your best bet is to upgrade to Slackware 13.1. 3D acceleration will work out of the box with the open source drivers.

However, if you want to stick with Slackware 13.0, we can try and figure out what's going on here. Can you show us the output of 'dmesg | grep drm' and 'lsmod | grep radeon'?

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by adamk View Post
          Honestly, I think your best bet is to upgrade to Slackware 13.1. 3D acceleration will work out of the box with the open source drivers.

However, if you want to stick with Slackware 13.0, we can try and figure out what's going on here. Can you show us the output of 'dmesg | grep drm' and 'lsmod | grep radeon'?

Adam

Ok I'll upgrade to Slackware 13.1 then. I'll be back later today to let you know what heppens. SOrry it took so long to answer the last message, I went to Arizona, and Las Vegas for a vacation. Just got back last night.

Comment

I think using radeonhd is considered deprecated, especially since KMS doesn't work with it. Oh, and using fglrx while the radeon DRM is loaded isn't such a good idea and maybe reason for lockups.

Comment

Yeah, that smells most definitely like kernel DRM being too old. Upgrading to a newer distro version sounds like a saner option to fix it than just upgrade component by component and hope you remember to upgrade everything.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                Yeah, that smells most definitely like kernel DRM being too old. Upgrading to a newer distro version sounds like a saner option to fix it than just upgrade component by component and hope you remember to upgrade everything.

I upgraded to Slackware 13.1 and it works now, but very POORLY.
                So I decided to just dualboot windows 7 for gaming. You would think after this many years someone besides nvidia could write a decent driver for Linux OS. I will never buy anything but Nvidia again. This was a mistake that will not repeat.

Comment

Exactly what was poor? If gaming is your thi ng, it would make more sense to use the proprietary driver from AMD. Nearly everything other than gaming should have performed quite well with the open source radeon driver (and even gaming works pretty well for me with the open source drivers).

Adam

Comment

Which drivers exactly are you using, and which Mesa, libdrm, kernel version?

What exactly is poor? The 3d performance is much lower with open source drivers at the moment, and WINE is known not to work on anything other than nvidia for historical reasons. But even there, many games work with the open stack.

Comment

Working...
                    X