No announcement yet.

AMD Phenom II questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow.. thanks for all the quick posts, this system will be a gaming/Graphics workstation. As I'm a part time web page developer at my work place. so part of the time will it will be used to finish work that i did not get done at the office, my game of choice lately is ioUrbanTerror, and Spore on my wifes windows machine (I plan on running it on wine with the new system). there is one other reason for this system as I am the head system build at my work place and we do not have a quad core in the systems we build, I want to use my system to show the heads, that a very strong quad system can be built with a budget our main customers (banks, and local governments) can afford.
    Agian thanks for the posts and as soon as I have my system built I'll post my bench marks.
    and d2kx that system is almost exacly what I want to build. and if your happy with it. I'm sure I will be too. GO DRAGON!

Comment

If you want to use wine keep far away from ATI gfx cards...

Comment

Ya when it comes to wine, nvidia is the only real choice right now.

Comment

hopefully ati will fix the drivers in the near future to run wine better.but Spore is just one game and I can live with out it.
          a better solution to the wine problem is EA and Blizzard need to start porting games to linux (it will never happen but we can hope)
          thanks for pointing that fax out.. I have always ran Nvida cards on past systems nut the price and performance of the HD4XXX cards a good.

Comment

The price is interesting, but that's all. Just don't blame anybody that nobody told you before when you run into troubles.

Comment

Originally posted by jstokes View Post
              hopefully ati will fix the drivers in the near future to run wine better.
              And who will fix Wine to run better on non-NVidia cards? Currently, the only things missing from Wine is the "NVidia: The Way It's Meant To Be Played" logo.

Comment

My recommendation for a very awesome system at a very affordable price would be:

*) CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 along with Gigabyte EP45-DS3L mobo,
                *) GPU: NVidia 9800GT (possibly EVGA dual slot).

Reasons: Intel Core2Duo E8400 is 45nm low voltage with stock speed of 3.0GHz and highly overclockable to upto 4.0 - 4.4GHz. Price of about 150 USD or so is reasonable. Might require a good cooler like a Zalman copper. This motherboard at about 100 USD is also affordable and full featured along with quite some overclocking potential. Stock FSB is 1333MHz I guess and can be OC'ed to 1600. Together with fast cheap DDR2 1200+ should be a good combo.
                Nvidia 9800GT sells at about 100USD and can run through most demanding games at decent quality (I am happy with either 1280x720 high details or 1920x1080 medium details ).

As an aside, I recently got a ASUS G50VT-X6 notebook from Newegg ~1300USD. It has the Penryn P8700 @ 2.53 GHz (which can be OC'ed to 3GHz in Windows) and Nvidia 9800M GS. It is a killer. It actually deserves a review in Phoronix ! (On windows, I can play GRID at 1680x1050 high details smoothly, On linux, Doom3 gives ~100fps at 1680x1050.) So above mentioned system should be very sufficient.

PS : It would be nice to have DDR3 for both the bandwidth and lower power consumption. But pretty expensive at the moment, especially good ones with low latency. So I guess DDR2 should do good.

Comment

Originally posted by hdas View Post
                  I can play GRID at 1680x1050 high details smoothly
                  Grid runs much better on ATI though. *Much* better. It's one of the few exceptions though where ATI wins.

Comment

an even more affordable setup (it's my current one):

- AMD Phenom X4 9350e (no OC, just stock settings -> 65W/2GHz)
                    - NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT (a ZOTAC one, in my case, the cheapest I could find here in Spain)

On Windows Vista (yes, I know, it $ucks) I can run the vast majority of games with all maxed settings and antialiasing at a very smooth framerate.

On Linux, I don't still know, I'm still in the process of re-bootstrapping my x64 pure CLFS build against the latest kernel (mainly to get rid of any quirks in glibc, --with-kernel=current FTW)

Pair that setup with a 500GB hard disk and toss a good optical drive (mine's a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD CD/DVD rewriter combo) and you can have a very good system ^_^

(I'm just stuck at trying to know where the hell am I going to get the GLU headers from :S)

Comment

Originally posted by jstokes View Post
                      hopefully ati will fix the drivers in the near future...
                      Do you have any idea how long everyone's been saying that? I never had an fglrx release that was "just right" - either one thing was busted, or it was another. When one problem got fixed, another one popped up.

If it were me, I'd stick with the Phenom but throw in a GeForce 8 or 9 series card (substitute "Phenom" with "Athlon X2", and that actually IS what I'm doing). Maybe in a few months (when X developers have had their way with the sample code and hardware specifications) spring for an R600/700 and go with xf86-video-ati or xf86-video-radeonhd.

Comment

Working...
                      X