A New X.Org-Free Wayland LiveCD Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
    And I still stand by what I said: it is moronic to waste time on a distribution that shows off just one single piece of software. Learn to read bro.
    I'm not your bro and I don't need to read a stupid statement more time than one.
    The display server is pretty important and wayland is a topic under discussion by months, so for who is interested in the new display server, an X.Org-free distro has all the reason for exist, instead of your useless opinion on how the people should use their time.

For who needs to do a screenshot:
    clicking on the INFO icon on the top bar, you can see all the keybind of weston, such as the screenshot (super + s, if I remember right) and record a video (maybe super +r?), etc

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
      clicking on the INFO icon on the top bar, you can see all the keybind of weston, such as the screenshot (super + s, if I remember right) and record a video (maybe super +r?), etc
      I tried 'Windows_key + S' and it seemed to do something (nothing visual). I tried to paste it at ctrlv.in but it would not work as the site claims that Javascript is disabled (which is not). I did not find any other suitable piece of software to do this.

I did verify that the executable to create screenshots is there.

I also tried KDE's screencapture. Started the first time, hanged when I pressed the button to make a screenshot. Never started afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
        Hmm, speaking of which, does ffmpeg x11grab work on Wayland, or will there be a "wgrab"?

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post

Apps are having issue's, like:

Code:
          beccaholic@beccaholic:/$ ksnapshot
          ksnapshot: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkipi.so.10: undefined symbol: _ZNK13KXMLGUIClient13componentDataEv
          beccaholic@beccaholic:/$
          Too bad, cannot post screenshots . Furthermore, I think the LiveCD would be more accessible if the author used a cli.seed and build further on that. The entire KDE suite seems to be installed (who cares?)

Final note: Posted from (X)Wayland! Now, back to the 80's...

EDIT: Quitting the browser from within (File -> Exit) does not work (lol!).
          To get KDE apps to work, you have to run them from the xterm xwayland app, because I have it set to use the default variables. The wayland terminal has the /opt in it's library paths. ...KDE apps crash because I have KDE frameworks in /opt (or you can just run
          xwaylandapp konsole
          for example to get an x program started with the default variables)

As for the screenshot, the Super+s, should save the screenshot in your /home/username . The built in screenshooter tool that comes with weston does not have a GUI,

and because of security, only special apps called directly by weston itself, like the weston screenshooter have access to capture the entire display, so that's why ksnapshot won't work.
          Last edited by nerdopolis; 26 May 2013, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deadite66
            I wanted to test it but baulked at downloading 1.8GB, way too big.
            I'm sorry. I do have lots of dev packages installed, as well as Wayland versions of lots of software like Qt, Gtk, SDL, mplayer, and gstreamer.

I put back in my script what builds a smaller ISO without the dev packages.

Comment

EDIT: You also mentioned 'chrome'. I guess you are referring to 'Google Chrome'. That is a case apart (from what I have heard) as it uses some direct X calls bypassing the toolkits. So it will take an effort of the Google developers to make it work on Wayland. Don't know when that will happen though... This also depends on how much is actually bypassing the toolkits.
              No, by 'chrome' i refer to the window decorator / window bar (which is also called the chrome in some circles) that contains the 'X', minimize and maximize buttons, which you mentioned was also missing in many application windows.

If i wanted Chrome / Chromium I would roll my own build using upstream sources and not download a binary version, just because I can (even though it takes 9 hours to build the browser on my ancient processor). Which i doubt is even possible on Rebecca Black at this point of time without access to the whole chunk of development libraries Chromium demands for the build process.
              Last edited by Sonadow; 26 May 2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                No, by 'chrome' i refer to the window decorator / window bar (which is also called the chrome in some circles) that contains the 'X', minimize and maximize buttons, which you mentioned was also missing in many application windows.
                Ah, I see. Well, Weston is there and so (I expect) that functionality to be there to (is it called the chrome? really? confusing.. anyway, thanks for clearing that up). But I suppose that not all the toolkits are fully ported (or contain bugs).

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                If i wanted Chrome / Chromium I would roll my own build using upstream sources and not download a binary version, just because I can (even though it takes 9 hours to build the browser on my ancient processor). Which i doubt is even possible on Rebecca Black at this point of time without access to the whole chunk of development libraries Chromium demands for the build process.
                It's a stock modified Ubuntu install disk. You could do a install build-dep of the chromium package and roll your own source. Should not be much more work than a 'traditional' installed Ubuntu.

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                To get KDE apps to work, you have to run them from the xterm xwayland app, because I have it set to use the default variables. The wayland terminal has the /opt in it's library paths. ...KDE apps crash because I have KDE frameworks in /opt (or you can just run
                xwaylandapp konsole
                for example to get an x program started with the default variables)
                xterm wayland app? I did find 'an' xterm in the launcher which did not work. The Wayland terminal worked good. What surprises me, is that konsole works really good. It has the close, minimize and maximize buttons. And scrolling with my mousewheel works. Furthermore, it does not crash when saving to clipboard (which Firefox did).

As for the screenshot, the Super+s, should save the screenshot in your /home/username . The built in screenshooter tool that comes with weston does not have a GUI,
                I tried Windows+S, Alt+S, Ctrl+S (who knows?) and a button which indicates a menu and an arrow selecting one if it's entries ... + S . None worked, I checked /home/beccaholic and /root. No dice. I also switched tty's to see if Wayland complained, which was not the case (I don't see a .xsession-errors? is there an equivalent?). Also, TTY switching made the Wayland session crash for the first time for me.

Having said that, it recovers pretty fast though.

and because of security, only special apps called directly by weston itself, like the weston screenshooter have access to capture the entire display, so that's why ksnapshot won't work.
                That's 'interesting'. So, Xwayland will not be able to handle screenshoting/recording apps, I guess?

Thanks for your effort!

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                  Bull. Don't confuse me with yourself, idiot.
                  Mirroring your condition on someone else is a first sign that you are still in the acceptance phase of your mental illness. I wish you much luck!

Comment

xterm wayland app? I did find 'an' xterm in the launcher which did not work. The Wayland terminal worked good. What surprises me, is that konsole works really good. It has the close, minimize and maximize buttons. And scrolling with my mousewheel works. Furthermore, it does not crash when saving to clipboard (which Firefox did).

I tried Windows+S, Alt+S, Ctrl+S (who knows?) and a button which indicates a menu and an arrow selecting one if it's entries ... + S . None worked, I checked /home/beccaholic and /root. No dice. I also switched tty's to see if Wayland complained, which was not the case (I don't see a .xsession-errors? is there an equivalent?). Also, TTY switching made the Wayland session crash for the first time for me.

Having said that, it recovers pretty fast though.

That's 'interesting'. So, Xwayland will not be able to handle screenshoting/recording apps, I guess?

Thanks for your effort!
                    Interesting... Konsole has window buttons? but it's an xwayland app, and the mini X window manager weston uses for xwayland apps doesn't support buttons yet... ...are you sure it's Konsole?

I'm looking into that. It seems the keybinding's lost. EDIT: I found that my loginmanager scripts are not starting weston in the correct PWD. I now made the fix to start it in the correct PWD to the svn
                    The loginmanager's weston crashed or the user session? That could be westons fault... ...but I did after the ISO release have to make some tty related fixes to the loginmanager... I don't know what that could be

No xwayland does not have access to screenshooting in Weston...

I the next ISO, I'll have logging to var/log/syslog for the loginmanager. I just found a really sweet command called "logger"

Thanks!
                    Last edited by nerdopolis; 26 May 2013, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Wow I got moderated..... Yet you let Q/LinuxAnals spew garbage over this forum. I'm done with Phoronix... My comment was harsh but it wasn't anything that was already said...

Comment

Working...
                      X