Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tux3 File-System Gains Initial FSCK Implementation

Phoronix: Tux3 File-System Gains Initial FSCK Implementation

The Tux3 file-system has been in development for years while back on 1 January, the file-system work was resurrected. There's now an initial fsck implementation for Tux3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So why should anyone want to use this?

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post
      So why should anyone want to use this?
      It is quite possible that Tux3 will get to incremental and online fsck before
      Ext4 does. (There you go, Ted, that is a challenge.) There is no question that
      this is something that every viable, modern filesystem must do, and no,
      scrubbing does not cut the mustard. We need to be able to detect errors on the
      filesystem, perhaps due to blocks going bad, or heaven forbid, bugs, then
      report them to the user and *fix* them on command without taking the volume
      offline. If that seems hard, it is. But it simply has to be done.
      Because online fsck is awesome.

(Also if i understood correctly the layout should work wonders with spinning media. And also result in wear-leveling on ssd:s)

Comment

Online fsck is nice. Good file systems avoid errors though.

Comment

Umm. You cannot avoid errors if say your hard disk is failing.

Comment

Errors happen, bugs happen. Its the nature of software. You do the best you can, but a bug will always find a way in. Plus hardware fails as Rahul pointed out. Thats why its not a "We have the perfect filesystem. Zero errors!" approach. Its a "This is reality. Shit happens. We need to protect against the shit." approach
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I mean, atomic operations and similar things to avoid errors which are not hardware-sided.

Comment

I mean, atomic operations and similar things to avoid errors which are not hardware-sided.
                Oh =P Still, bugs happen. Better to have a working fsck early on and expand upon it as you add more and more features haha
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

This file system have a lot of potentiality i hope that everything work the best until, finally, will be ready.

I believe that would have the potential to become an enterprise file system something that is not ext4 (since important features such as snapshots are not present) but remained far lighter (so usable even on old machine with few resource) respect Btrfs (that is a sort of an elephant so we need not wonder that despite the support it receives isn't never ready as default file system and anyway require too much resource).

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    Umm. You cannot avoid errors if say your hard disk is failing.
                    ... let alone random bit errors due to, say, background radiation.

- Gilboa
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                    X