A New Development Release Of GNOME Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Heh, even a lot of academics are ran with the idea of gaining funding. The end result of a lot academic research is to simply find more ways of generating revenue.
    There are concerns in academia though that profit-centeredness is killing out the general research whose purpose isn't to output a product but simply improve our understanding on things and further science. Accepting money from companies doesn't come without a price.

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
      I'm using it every days on a machine that never reboots... After some days (or maybe weeks), it happens to crash leaving my windows frozen without decoration.
      Even if I just need to restart Compiz to recover my desktop (which is quite easy through the fusion-icon menu), it's always a painful situation.
      It may be due to a memory leak in a particular plugin, I don't know...
      Anyway it's still not as rock-solid as I would expect it to be.
      You use the latest version?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        There are concerns in academia though that profit-centeredness is killing out the general research whose purpose isn't to output a product but simply improve our understanding on things and further science. Accepting money from companies doesn't come without a price.
        Ya, I see that. Sad part is that academic research grants are pressured to produce results. Same thing happens in software development in many cases open or not. There are also some really stupid grants out there that I'm sure are just given out for the sake of it. I recall a few years the Provincial Gov't of BC giving a large 2 million dollar grant to a fishery study so they could put a TV underwater to teach salmon fry to avoid bears by showing a looping video of bears scooping out salmon during spawning.

Comment

I recall a few years the Provincial Gov't of BC giving a large 2 million dollar grant to a fishery study so they could put a TV underwater to teach salmon fry to avoid bears by showing a looping video of bears scooping out salmon during spawning.

At least this is innovative...

Comment

lol wut. That sounds like something the soviets would come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
              lol wut. That sounds like something the soviets would come up with.
              The salmon farming is actually much larger in Canada rather than Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post

At least this is innovative...
                lol, ya I bet $500 went to the tv and the rest went to the "beer fund".

EDIT: Come to think of it, being in BC the balance probably went to their "wacky weed" fund.
                Last edited by deanjo; 30 August 2009, 08:39 PM.

Comment

lol, ya I bet $500 went to the tv and the rest went to the "beer fund".

EDIT: Come to think of it, being in BC the balance probably went to their "wacky weed" fund.
                  beer fund or weed fund, i wish i lived in BC

Comment

Working...
                  X