Ubuntu Is Going To Deploy Wayland With Unity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by energyman View Post
    the hype? the hype started when ubuntu wasn't even released. And since then everything ubuntu does is sold to the media as new, ground breaking and awesome.

While most of the time they just copy something from some other distro.

Are not even good at it.

And it isn't even noteworthy.

And then ubuntards flock together to a great circle jerk on every linux related site.
    Agreed!

Comment

Isn't a distribution just a collection of someone else's work.

Comment

most distributions give something back. Paying kernel/glibc/gcc/driver devs - you know, the stuff that is hard to do and not as 'fun' or 'rewarding' thant adding a patch to gnome to add some needed functions to the desktop menu.

Ubuntu is pretty... lazy about all that. Loudmouthed, yes.

But the worst thing is, Shuttleworth farts something into his blog and sites like Phoronix report it like it will be there just right around the corner.

Comment

Ubuntu is a free distribution. You guys mix up dominant with monopoly. Monopoly would be preventing others from succeeding (which they have no record of doing) while dominant is just having the largest base because they're the most usable.

I used to use more low-level distros in the sense that I had more control over it - but it would require more work. Lately when I need a development machine I don't want to spent 3-4 hours installing and configuring stuff (it'd take a lot less if the net speed was quicker I have to admit) but Ubuntu is just an install-and-use distro.

Comment

Originally posted by NoEffex View Post
            ...when I need a development machine I don't want to spent 3-4 hours installing and configuring stuff ... Ubuntu is just an install-and-use distro.
            That's why I use Ubuntu. I always tweak the hell out of my installs, but sometimes I need a machine up and running without doing so. Some people dislike that Ubuntu intertwines some things (such as Pulseaudio) into the system that are not easily removed, but I don't mind since I love those technologies. One or two things I don't like happen to be easily removed/changed.

There is the strong argument that Ubuntu contributes nothing to the Linux ecosystem. While not being true, it's a valid point. There is the equally valid argument that Ubuntu contributes what Linux needs most - marketing, and accessibility.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
              hype?
              And it isn't even noteworthy.
              So do you think if <ANY_DISTRO> made this announcement phoronix would not write about it?
              Or if you are not interested in wayland itself then why bother writing here?

Comment

and after installing ubuntu you go on hunting 'dev' packages because ubuntu follows the brain deadness of several other distros not including header files. Idiotic.

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
                  So do you think if <ANY_DISTRO> made this announcement phoronix would not write about it?
                  To be a little bit reasonable, if another distro wrote about such things, the chances are not as great about it being written about on Phoronix. The majority of the news is about Ubuntu, or xorg in Ubuntu, or whatever with Ubuntu.
                  Of course, phoronix is mostly engaged in benchmarking and uses Ubuntu for most of its work, so naturally the people involved care mostly about Ubuntu. However, sometimes it seems like "Linux" is replaced with "Ubuntu" around here - and what Mark Shuttleworth thinks of Wayland doesn't mean the rest of the community will agree. A good portion won't - they're more concerned with productivity and will gladly sacrifice a shiny user experience for those not so computer-literate to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
                    with the exception of fedora maybe: no, there would not be an article about it.

And there was no announcement. All that happend was that Shuttleworth wrote in his blog that ubuntu might use wayland at some point in the future.

And phoronix, as ubuntu's little bitch, had to make an exciting 'announcement' out if it, furthering the mindless hype around ubuntu.

Besides, there is much more than wayland - and so far I have not seen any indication why it is so great to get orgasmic about it.

The problem is, there is something with ubuntu and phoronix (and other former linux sites) blow it completely out of proportion.

Why not doing something usefull? Like posting about all those bugs in ubuntu?

Comment

You can't make any money off a site that reposts a bunch of bug reports.

Comment

Working...
                      X