X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Swoopy
    HD 2600 XT AGP with 512 MB DDR3, using a Via K8T800Pro chipset:

(II) fglrx(0): [pcie] 520192 kB allocated
    Interesting, I've spent some time trying to make it "see" 512M but with no result (I thought that's the reason why it isn' t working, now it looks like the opposite ). radeonhd sees 256M too for me.

Originally posted by Swoopy
    What made you add the following bit?:
    Option "omit XFree86-DGA"
    I can't remember exactly, sorry. I believe it has nothing to do with Radeons or ATI.

Comment

• It works. But with terrible performance...
      Used vitalyb's xorg.conf as sample.
      My Xorg.0.log is also similar to vitalyb's
      I've to go back to radeonhd.
      Last edited by Scraelos; 13 March 2008, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• Got two mysterious crashes (no panics, 1 lockup, 1 reboot. Probably X) in past 4 days. System is running 24/7.

Not so stable...
        back to radeonhd

Comment

• I just bought a Asus AH2600Pro 512MB AGP Video Card.

Now let me get this straight, at the moment, for this card (and similar) there is NO WAY to get decent performance in gaming?

The only thing I have installed thus far as a driver is the 8.3 hotfix driver. I fired up rome total war, and the performance was pitiful, it was about equal to a 9600.

Is anyone actually getting good/normal results with this (or similar) AGP card?

Any news on whether things will be fixed, or is it just expected that things will stay horrendous for a while?

Comment

• Originally posted by junkmonk View Post
            I just bought a Asus AH2600Pro 512MB AGP Video Card.

Now let me get this straight, at the moment, for this card (and similar) there is NO WAY to get decent performance in gaming?

The only thing I have installed thus far as a driver is the 8.3 hotfix driver. I fired up rome total war, and the performance was pitiful, it was about equal to a 9600.

Is anyone actually getting good/normal results with this (or similar) AGP card?

Any news on whether things will be fixed, or is it just expected that things will stay horrendous for a while?
            well, i changed some stuff on my xorg.conf, and it seemed to help a bit... but i must make it clear, that didn't really now what I was doing... for example, I enabled opengl overlay too... enabled some "DRI" stuff.... well... with this, it seemed to get a better performance... I didn't run any big game in it yet, but kde4 desktop effects works alright (didn't try with compiz/beryl yet), and on Armagetron Advanced (that 3d tron-like game), with all settings at max, i got around 100 fps...

I'm not on linux right now (woke up a little late, someone here at home must have booted into window$), but as soon as i finish some stuff here, i'll go check out my xorg.conf and i hope you guys can tell if what i did was totally stupid or actually makes some sense...

Comment

• Here's what I changed on my xorg.conf file:

Section "Module"
              Load "dri"
              Load "glx"

(...)

#Section "Monitor"
              # Identifier "SyncMaster"
              # Option "DPMS"
              #EndSection

Section "Monitor"
              Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
              Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
              Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
              Option "DPMS" "true"
              EndSection

#Section "Device"
              #
              # Driver "fglrx"
              # Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
              # Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
              # Identifier "ATI Technologies Inc ATI Default Card"
              # Driver "vesa"
              # BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
              #EndSection

Section "Device"
              Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]"
              Driver "fglrx"
              Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
              Option "OpenGLOverlay" "on"
              EndSection

#Section "Screen"
              # Identifier "Default Screen"
              # Device "ATI Technologies Inc ATI Default Card"
              # Monitor "SyncMaster"
              # DefaultDepth 24
              # SubSection "Display"
              # Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
              # EndSubSection
              #EndSection

Section "Screen"
              Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]"
              Device "aticonfig-Device[0]"
              Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
              DefaultDepth 24
              SubSection "Display"
              Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
              Viewport 0 0
              Depth 24
              EndSubSection
              EndSection

Section "dri"
              Mode 0666
              EndSection

basically, i added module and dri sections, commented what i thought was duplicate stuff (there were two monitor, device and screen sections), and enabled opengl overlay...

so... my question is, does any of this changes actually make any sense?
              i didn't notice any negative impact on my system, so, i think they're harmless, at least...

Comment

• Originally posted by theblackkat View Post
                well, i changed some stuff on my xorg.conf, and it seemed to help a bit... but i must make it clear, that didn't really now what I was doing... for example, I enabled opengl overlay too... enabled some "DRI" stuff.... well... with this, it seemed to get a better performance... I didn't run any big game in it yet, but kde4 desktop effects works alright (didn't try with compiz/beryl yet), and on Armagetron Advanced (that 3d tron-like game), with all settings at max, i got around 100 fps...

I'm not on linux right now (woke up a little late, someone here at home must have booted into window$), but as soon as i finish some stuff here, i'll go check out my xorg.conf and i hope you guys can tell if what i did was totally stupid or actually makes some sense...

You may be one of the few who actually got fglrx working on a 512 MB RadeonHD 2xxx _AGP_ card.
                Officially, there is no support for AGP yet.
                On my own 512 MB HD2600XT AGP, the driver just hangs. No error, no crash, just a black screen and an unresponsive PC.

What kind of motherboard / chipset do you have?
                Which CPU?
                How much RAM on the motherboard?
                Which Linux distro and kernel version (32-bit or 64-bit) are you running?

TIA, Swoopy

Comment

• My motherboard is a Foxconn (generic Intel manufacturer, I guess), and the chipset is Intel Springdale-G i865G, Pentium 4 3.06GHz 1Mb L2 Cache processor and 1Gb DDR (2x512, Dual Channel).
                  I'm using Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14 (32-bit).

Well, I think that describes my system. But I run into some issues form time to time, like an EXTREME slowdown after exiting that Armagetron game, Compiz simply refuses to run, but other than that, it seems to be alright. I still need to do some tests on "heavier" games, like Flight Gear, UT2004, or even maybe World of Warcraft on Wine...

Just for the record, i intalled everything using a tutorial found around the web, I'll post the link here if I happen to remember, or when I get home.

^_^

Comment

• Originally posted by Swoopy View Post
                    You may be one of the few who actually got fglrx working on a 512 MB RadeonHD 2xxx _AGP_ card.
                    Officially, there is no support for AGP yet.
                    On my own 512 MB HD2600XT AGP, the driver just hangs. No error, no crash, just a black screen and an unresponsive PC.
                    Same here with HD 2400 pro AGP.

Comment

• I was looking to buy this card (2900XT AGP) and all this driver talk is holding me back. Anyway I found something that might be useful probably not. I was browsing for a card on newegg and I came across this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814241072
                      only two people reviewed it giving it 5 stars, well the interesting thing is if you go to the images of the card with the cd and manual the cd says on it 8.43 I don't know whether that refers to the catalyst drivers I've been reading. If so they might work for your cards the drivers can be found here http://www.gecube.com/software-drive...earch=2600+agp This is probably nonsense due to noobness if so ignore
                      \

Comment

Working...
                      X