GNOME 3.x Will Bring Back Some GNOME 2 Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bkor View Post
    I don't work for Red Hat. I find it curious that you think I am. In any case, feel free to pay me for the various years of work I contributed towards GNOME. If you want you can donate that money to the GNOME foundation.
    I wasn't referring to you. I find it curious that you think I did. Tell me, since you are in the GNOME team: who are the key developers of the project? Where they work?

You seem to need this hint, even though you are in the team: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Red_Ha...s#Free_Desktop

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Actually they can and this is exactly how FOSS communities work. It's called meritocracy.
      You need to recheck your definition of that word.

Meritocracy is when people spontaneously adopt something because they genuinely like it,

I'll tell you what's not meritocracy:
      • suddenly drop all support for a big software stack leaving the sole choice to use the new, half baked one withouth a proper migration window/path, even when you see people are having trouble with the hurried migration
      • leverage your dominance in the windowing toolkit space (ie, having a great bunch of 3rd party apps using your toolkit) and make it difficult to use the toolkit separated from the rest of the stack, removing functionality and breaking compatibility with 3rd parties on each point release, in the name of *branding*
      • make all your related projects and components a big interdependent mess, promoting a "my way or the highway" approach to adoption of your project (example)
      • btw, the previous example illustrates another non-meritocratic point: what the hell are you doing in a 3rd party app bugtracker telling them to be anything??
      • breaking collaboration with any project that "competes" with you, so you further reduce *choice*, the basic property of meritocracy

Hope this tiny list helps to enrich your definition.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
        I don't work for Red Hat. I find it curious that you think I am. In any case, feel free to pay me for the various years of work I contributed towards GNOME. If you want you can donate that money to the GNOME foundation.
        This being Phoronix, you will probably be paid in beer.

Comment

DWM

Originally posted by hubick View Post
          I'm gonna do my best not to swear, as this really infuriates me.

My task as a programmer involves using my Linux workstation and 30" LCD to manage my source code editor (Eclipse), a Firefox window full of tabs for the pages for the site I'm working on editing the code for, likely also Chrome and Opera windows for the same, another browser window full of tabs containing the various reference documentation I need along with Google search results, etc, an Open Office window containing the project requirements document describing the features I'm working on, a gedit window for storing, editing, and copy/pasting code snippets and other stuff I need to remember, and a Pidgin window to my coworker who might be helping me test this stuff.

The only thing the new Gnome Shell encourages - is making my hand hurt from all the extra mousing and clicking I need to do.

(When it was first released, I posted a more detailed review at http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv.../t-263609.html )

I have been surviving inside fallback mode, but, sorry, I think this is too little too late, and I'm going to go find a shell written by people who use their computer as more than a "one window at a time" iPad-like toy.
          Reading your review I think DWM would be perfectly suitable for you, especially because you can easily set up fixed-purpose workspaces.
          Gnome has been pissing me off since Gnome 3 reached upstream in Debian Testing...
          Last edited by frign; 23 November 2012, 11:55 AM. Reason: 42

Comment

Great with these changes the flames about Gnome Shell will surely come to an end nah seriously, no matter what gnome developers do, the Anti-Gnome trolls will not just disappear. The gnome 3 developers need better weapons to hunt these trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by kigurai View Post
              Well, I am a programmer too...
              SURE you are.

Yes, really.

Nope, just recently started using a laptop. And since it has a 1920x1080 resolution...
              Hmmmm.... Would that be your Asus EEE 1005PE that you were running gnome on more that a year ago? 2011-06-28
              BTW - the resolution on that is is 1024x600.

In the work workspace I usually do data collection and analysis. So I keep two two separate terminal windows open (one for collection, one for analysis). Since they each require multiple terminals, I open lots of tabs in each terminal window.

Now I can change between collection and analysis using Alt-<key above tab>, and then Alt-<1,2,3,...> to change to tabs within the terminal window.
              Since Alt-<key above tab> chooses windows in the same workspace first, before windows in other workspaces, this works nicely.
              Programmer eh? Doesn't look like the workflow of a programmer. No editor? No debugger? Perhaps you're just a fanboi . This workflow looks more like a reasearcher. Perhaps at a university. Perhaps running Mendeley.

Just for future reference - a _real_ engineer would be knowlagable enough to run ps or top and catch the runaway process _before_ filing a bug report saying cpu scaling was broken.

Programmer...........Riiiight........

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
                Great with these changes the flames about Gnome Shell will surely come to an end nah seriously, no matter what gnome developers do, the Anti-Gnome trolls will not just disappear. The gnome 3 developers need better weapons to hunt these trolls.
                So now people who you disagree with are trolls and have to disappear or be hunted. It's so nice to see these displays of common sense.

Comment

Hmmmm.... Would that be your Asus EEE 1005PE that you were running gnome on more that a year ago? 2011-06-28
                  BTW - the resolution on that is is 1024x600.
                  Nope, that would be the family netbook. Which as I pointed out is running GNOME3 fine, btw
                  The laptop I use for work is the Asus UX31A. It's nice, I'd recommend it.

Programmer eh? Doesn't look like the workflow of a programmer. No editor? No debugger? Perhaps you're just a fanboi . This workflow looks more like a reasearcher. Perhaps at a university. Perhaps running Mendeley.
                  I see you have found Google. Good for you! It will help you in many ways!

Just for future reference - a _real_ engineer would be knowlagable enough to run ps or top and catch the runaway process _before_ filing a bug report saying cpu scaling was broken.
                  Programmer...........Riiiight........
                  If you want to believe your e-penis is bigger than mine, then go ahead. It is Friday after all!

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                    I have to agree, my seriously incompatible workflow with Gnome Shell and my will to actually be able to customise things drove me to KDE too, which has been getting seriously awesome(IMO).
                    I just switched to XFCE, with the intention of using it for a while until I switched from Ubuntu to Mint. But this version is good enough that I don't know if I'll ever want to go back to Gnome. I keep trying KDE, but I never found a good reason to stick with it.

Comment

I see you have found Google. Good for you! It will help you in many ways!
                      If you want to believe your e-penis is bigger than mine, then go ahead. It is Friday after all!
                      You lie about being a programmer and how well GNOME 3 supports the workflow of a programmer in response to a software engineers complaints on GNOME 3's workflow. You get caught in the lie and try to dodge the bullet with this crap. Is this is best you can do?

Pathetic.

Comment

Working...
                      X