Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IcedTea 1.3 Picks Up New Features, Support

Phoronix: IcedTea 1.3 Picks Up New Features, Support

Back during JavaOne 2007, Sun Microsystems had released the fully open-source OpenJDK that effectively made Java a free software language. Just weeks after that Red Hat announced the IcedTea project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, the hi-games.net typing test won't be broken in 8.10?

Like, does it handle fixed-width fonts correctly?

Comment

It is great that Java now can be distributed with Linux, but I really look forward to the day where the Java browser plugin also is distributed with Linux.

The last thing I read was, that Sun was not going to open source the plugin =(

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
        It is great that Java now can be distributed with Linux, but I really look forward to the day where the Java browser plugin also is distributed with Linux.

The last thing I read was, that Sun was not going to open source the plugin =(
        icedtea already has a browser plugin in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          icedtea already has a browser plugin in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors.
          Interesting!

Does it work just a well the one that comes with the closed source Java?

Comment

Interesting!

Works fine for me. I haven't come across any sites that it wouldn't work in my regular travels.

Comment

Works fine for me. I haven't come across any sites that it wouldn't work in my regular travels.
              Great! =)

What packages did you install so you got the plugin?

Comment

Great! =)

What packages did you install so you got the plugin?
                Well on openSUSE the packages is called icedtea-plugin. What it is called on other distro's I have no idea.

Comment

Well on openSUSE the packages is called icedtea-plugin. What it is called on other distro's I have no idea.
                  Thanks. I am using Fedora, so they probably also split it into a separate package.

I'll search for plugin, and see what comes up =)

Comment

No,even though it's improving. Try http://www.goproblems.com/prob.php3?nutrial=1&plevel=0 for example... with really recent releases you can go a bit further than before but it won't allow you to go to the next page once the problem is solved. However for amd64 that's the only game in town since Sun never released a 64 bit Java plugin.

Comment

Working...
                    X