Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine Engine Advances, But No Linux Heaven Yet

Phoronix: Unigine Engine Advances, But No Linux Heaven Yet

We reported a month ago that Unigine Heaven on Linux is still trash with the ATI driver so Unigine Corp is continuing to hold off on releasing the Unigine Heaven tech demo with the OpenGL renderer that supports hardware tessellation until there is a good Catalyst release. Unigine Heaven was released for Windows 7 back in October on this operating system's launch day using a DirectX 11.0 renderer, but buggy Linux drivers have held back the public Linux-OpenGL build...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope when Fermi comes out they still won't be waiting for ATI to fix their drivers to release the linux version.

Comment

Surely just releasing it and adding a check for nvidia drivers would pressure ATI into fixing their driver faster than not releasing it?

Comment

Actually, last month it was stated that a "hardware vendor" was holding things up but failed to mention which one. At least that was from Unigine - phoronix has been filling in the rest all on its own. Is there any confirmation that it is currently ATI holding things up?
        I'm all for speculation, so I'm sure ATI's drivers are still holding it up, but I'd just like something a bit more official.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
          Actually, last month it was stated that a "hardware vendor" was holding things up but failed to mention which one. At least that was from Unigine - phoronix has been filling in the rest all on its own. Is there any confirmation that it is currently ATI holding things up?
          I'm all for speculation, so I'm sure ATI's drivers are still holding it up, but I'd just like something a bit more official.
          Given that Phoronix and unigine are on pretty good ground dialog wise and phoronix also has a unreleased version of it I would say that the info that ATI is holding up the release is pretty good. Especially since ATI is the only vendor out there that currently has hardware that supports hardware tessellation.

Comment

Well, again that's all speculation. I'm not completely up to speed on the opengl tessellation side of things, and it's also rational to assume that nvidia would like the demo to be released along with Fermi (they have after all been using it quite heavily to show off Fermi).

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
              Well, again that's all speculation. I'm not completely up to speed on the opengl tessellation side of things, and it's also rational to assume that nvidia would like the demo to be released along with Fermi (they have after all been using it quite heavily to show off Fermi).
              Well not really,

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unigine Corp's CEO, Denis Shergin, told Phoronix this afternoon that Heaven for Linux should be available in one to two months. According to Denis, the Linux build of Unigine Heaven is done, but they are waiting for new drivers to be released before pushing out this impressive tech demo. OpenGL on the AMD side is "way too broken" so it looks like Unigine will be waiting for the Catalyst 9.11 or 9.12 driver releases before pushing out Heaven. The Unigine Heaven Linux version will carry full tessellation support enabled, we're told.
              Notice the "way to broken" quote from Denis?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Given that Phoronix and unigine are on pretty good ground dialog wise and phoronix also has a unreleased version of it I would say that the info that ATI is holding up the release is pretty good. Especially since ATI is the only vendor out there that currently has hardware that supports hardware tessellation.

Nvidia has been releasing videos of The Fermi with what appears to be a "1.1" Heaven build, so it's obvious that they do have the hardware and software to run it. Really, there is no indication that at this point it's AMD that's holding back the demo. Could be, but as long as someone at Unigine comes out saying just that, it's all speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                  Nvidia has been releasing videos of The Fermi with what appears to be a "1.1" Heaven build, so it's obvious that they do have the hardware and software to run it. Really, there is no indication that at this point it's AMD that's holding back the demo. Could be, but as long as someone at Unigine comes out saying just that, it's all speculation.
                  Did you not read the "way to broken" quote from Denis?

Comment

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure that's what's going on still, but the developers from Unigine delaying because they feel AMD's drivers aren't stable enough and AMD asking Unigine to delay it are completely different. It's the the whole being asked by a hardware vendor thing that's put some confusion into the matter, and I'm wondering if the article isn't more a conclusion reached by Michael from trying the demo out with AMD's drivers than by talks with Unigine.

Comment

Working...
                    X