No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.5 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm... lots of annoyances on Ubuntu 8.04 with stock configuration... it renders firefox 3.0 poorly when doing various scroll based actions ( seeing as how 8.4 had no faults with this. ). that's just the first, another is that it renders the notification area improperly.

Comment

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
      My hardware: Lenovo Z61m laptop, ATI Radeon Mobile X1400, 2GiB RAM, Intel Core Duo 2GHz, Ubuntu Hardy x86 32bit.
      I have the exact same machine but run Frugalware with 2.6.25 and 8.5 and suspend-to-ram works just fine. I have about 4250fps with this driver both before and after resume.

Comment

interesting - some lag (a pause) when when maximising a window from the taskbar under ubuntu 8.04 x86 (hd3870) + compiz with the new drivers - not sure if this was like this before??? Also some corruption in firefox when scrolling.

Has ati made their release train 6 months or something? - ccc's copyright text suggests the current code is from 2007

At least ATI is not as bad as a certain umpc manufacturer - one of their bios updates had the following change only in their changelog:

"Revises the year of copyright strings from 2007 to 2008"

Comment

Originally posted by jjjj View Post
          Has anyone detected if using the authatieventsd.sh from the 8.5 package locks X on exit?

Maybe this issue only affects Ubuntus, dunno.
          afaik, it affects all Debian-based distros, at least those which use /var/run/xauth instead of /var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles/ to house the magic cookie.

I've also been plagued by that logout issue (since I bought my HD3650), and that fix has never worked for me. Using the 8-5 driver, it remains a non-fix for me as I still can't logout without a massive lockup. I'm running Debian testing btw, 32bit w/ 2.6.25-3 kernel(built from Debian sources) and KDE 3.5 (no Compiz). I suspect the many people for whom the atieventsd fix worked will find it still works, and those of us who it did not work for will find it still does not.

Comment

i just removed 8.5... it needs serious regression testing against ubuntu 8.04 because the system is hardly usable as a normal internet browser and a lot of other applications where broken by this version... system spec for those wondering why i did a revert to the old driver...
            Athlon 64x2 3800+
            Epox EP9NAJ Ultra
            1gb of ram
            Powercolor Radeon X1900GT
            Ubuntu 8.04

Comment

Originally posted by marcobrancalion View Post
              I'm using a Dell laptop with a X1400 Ati video card, updated Ubuntu Hardy, kde 3.5.9, self compiled QtCurve theme and Gtk-Qt.

Today i installed the new 8.5 drivers, and after some time i reverted to the 8.4 ones, because i had some serious (and fastidious) visual artifacts in the icons in the kde tray.
              These artifacts seemed to increase with time.......
              I had never seen anything similar before, and going back to the 8.4 fixed it.......

Anyone else has seen this? Is it a thing than can be solved?

Greetings.

I have the same issue with Thinkpad R60 (FC8 x86_46, kernel 2.6.25.4 and x1400) but I have visual artifacts also with font rendering on the desktop. I have the same problems with all 8.x driver family. If I remove fglrx kernel module all artifacts goes away and gtkperf is 20 seconds faster!

Comment

Originally posted by vincenzo View Post
                I have the same issue with Thinkpad R60 (FC8 x86_46, kernel 2.6.25.4 and x1400) but I have visual artifacts also with font rendering on the desktop. I have the same problems with all 8.x driver family.
                Me too (Thinkpad Z61m, Gentoo, 64-Bit, Kernel 2.6.25.4, X14000, X.Org 1.4, KDE 3.5). The same happened with 8.4 (and on kernel 2.6.24), but not as bad as with 8.5. It seems that some parts of the icons / text backgrounds are rendered as "transparent", and (even worse) with some "wrong" part of the desktop wallpaper showing through.

Setting XAANoOffscreenPixmaps does not make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by korpenkraxar View Post
                  I have the exact same machine but run Frugalware with 2.6.25 and 8.5 and suspend-to-ram works just fine. I have about 4250fps with this driver both before and after resume.
                  Yup, problem is likely caused by something in the combination of Ubuntu Hardy (and its default 2.6.24-based kernel) and fglrx, then. Thanks for the info, now I know it isn't totally hopeless.

Comment

Any common factor between all of you who experience visual artifacts with Catalyst 8.5 ? 64 bit ? I haven't seen a single visual glitch yet, while I'm enjoying the improved performance (X1400 mobile, 32bit Ubuntu).

Comment

The artifacts are showing here too, just in Qt apps. GTK apps are unaffected (although Firefox renders some fonts quite oddly). Someone said that removing the kernel module solved the problem... how do you exactly do that?

Comment

Working...
                      X