Humble Introversion Bundle On Mesa/Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixed bag on r600

I bought the bundle to run on my 3650HD with r600g, and got the same Aquaria segfault. Crayon Physics was so slow that it was unplayable. Maybe 4 fps. This prompted me to install the fglrx drivers, which of course make me an unhappy gnome-shell user, and now I want to buy an Nvidia card, but have no money.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Is there a donations page / Amazon Wishlist / Flattr or something similar we could use to encourage you?

Also is there a guide or mentoring service available for ebuilds? I've cobbled together the 32bit ebuilds for Mesa but they're a mess and would love to make a proper solution similar to the glibc multilib flag - I've tried doing it before but I got lost in the eclasses
      Thank you for the offer. Normally I'd decline as time is usually more of an issue than money but it is presently the other way around. I have therefore created a Flattr account. It seems the most humble option to me. I can't promise how much I may get done but was there a particular game you were interested in?

I did some work on Gish but important fixes were drowned out by a flurry of forks that attempted to create free version of the game. None of them got very far. I'd need to go back over the commits to pick out the useful ones. After my initial failed attempt at porting Penumbra: Overture to 64-bit Linux (insta-death!), I heard last month that one developer had more or less got it working so I'd certainly like to pick that up again.

Why create your own 32-bit ebuilds for Mesa? Is emul-linux-x86-opengl no good for you? It is updated a little more often than it used to be in order to keep up with recent Mesa developments. I know there are at least vague plans for a truly multilib Gentoo where you can compile a 32-bit Mesa as easily as a 64-bit one but I have no idea if or when that might actually happen. Back when it was updated less frequently, I managed to build my own in a chroot but it was less than straightforward.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
        Thank you for the offer. Normally I'd decline as time is usually more of an issue than money but it is presently the other way around. I have therefore created a Flattr account. It seems the most humble option to me. I can't promise how much I may get done but was there a particular game you were interested in?

I did some work on Gish but important fixes were drowned out by a flurry of forks that attempted to create free version of the game. None of them got very far. I'd need to go back over the commits to pick out the useful ones. After my initial failed attempt at porting Penumbra: Overture to 64-bit Linux (insta-death!), I heard last month that one developer had more or less got it working so I'd certainly like to pick that up again.

Why create your own 32-bit ebuilds for Mesa? Is emul-linux-x86-opengl no good for you? It is updated a little more often than it used to be in order to keep up with recent Mesa developments. I know there are at least vague plans for a truly multilib Gentoo where you can compile a 32-bit Mesa as easily as a 64-bit one but I have no idea if or when that might actually happen. Back when it was updated less frequently, I managed to build my own in a chroot but it was less than straightforward.
        Flattr'd and I got FlameEyes something from his wishlist too

I think I'd be most interested in a live ebuild for Darwinia but if you could help me develop my own ebuilds that would be better

Comment

Flattr'd and I got FlameEyes something from his wishlist too

I think I'd be most interested in a live ebuild for Darwinia but if you could help me develop my own ebuilds that would be better
          Many thanks for that. Darwinia it is then. I was debating the value of a source ebuild for these Introversion games since they are not properly open source but I think enough people have bought the bundle to make it worthwhile. Hopefully they're not too difficult to build. I'll keep you posted.

And few people are more deserving of thanks than Flameeyes.

Comment

Originally posted by geoffp View Post
            I bought the bundle to run on my 3650HD with r600g, and got the same Aquaria segfault. Crayon Physics was so slow that it was unplayable. Maybe 4 fps. This prompted me to install the fglrx drivers, which of course make me an unhappy gnome-shell user, and now I want to buy an Nvidia card, but have no money.
            I have the exact same graphics card and both games ran fine last time I tried them (several months ago). Like agd5f said, make sure you remove bundled C/C++ libraries and also any X11/xcb/opengl libs.

Comment

All of the Introversion games, as well as Dungeons of Dreadmore, work great using the latest open source drivers on my Radeon HD5770. Framerates are great.
              I haven't tried Crayon Physics yet. Aquaria used to work fine a year ago, but I haven't tried that one recently either since it's not on Desura. I have too many other games I've been playing.

Comment

And few people are more deserving of thanks than Flameeyes.
                Well he blogs a lot and I enjoy reading them

Who do you think is deserving?

Comment

Well he blogs a lot and I enjoy reading them

Who do you think is deserving?
                  I think you misunderstood me. He is VERY deserving! His blog is a gold mine.

Comment

I think you misunderstood me. He is VERY deserving! His blog is a gold mine.
                    You're right I read it as "And a few people are more deserving"

He's one of the ones who always blogs, I see you a lot on here but apart from that there's no one that sticks out in my mind - except maybe Mike Frysinger (vapier) - but for all the wrong reasons

Comment

Hi all.

I did the port of Multiwinia, and spent a while making sure it worked with all of the drivers/hardware I could get access to.

I'm glad that I haven't heard of any problems: the credit must go entirely to the driver developers. Whilst certainly not perfect, the open-source drivers are an incredible effort, and they're improving every day: several of the problems just disappeared with newer versions of the drivers.

I still recommend the closed source drivers for performance, but definitely give your favourite Gallium3D driver a go! Hearing success stories everyone happy!

-- Sulix

Comment

Working...
                      X