Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine OIlRush 1.34 Released, Now On Steam

Phoronix: Unigine OIlRush 1.34 Released, Now On Steam

Unigine Corp has finally brought their in-house OilRush game to Valve's Steam Linux client. The debut on Steam came as part of the game's v1.34 update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As far as I can see, OIlRush became game number 100 on Steam.

Comment

It would be also nice if Unigine brought their engine with some sort of personal license to steam.

Comment

Works on Debian Wheezy 64bit...

Salut,

I've just installed it on my too PCs.

pros:
        Actually, it runs on my HD7850 + fglrx's blob as it was running before with the Debian pkg version.
        The installation process was simple as usual with Steam. I simply have to give the activation code and follow the instructions like when you redeem a game.

cons:
        Sadly, it doesn't work on a HD4000 Intel's GPU whatever the graphical option I've choosen. It starts then get back to Steam client. The HD4000 is probably a bit weak for this game.

Anyway, it works!

A+
        Debcool

PS: About futur games for Linux, you should have a look on kickstarter about it. It seems that a lot of independant gaming studios have decided to follow Valve in the move. During the last six months, I've pledged for 3 games: M.O.R.E, ASYLUM and "Shroud of the Avatar" and there are more...
        Et si je poussais une longue plainte déchirante pudiquement masquée sous la morsure cinglante de mon humour ravageur?

Comment

Originally posted by damvcoool View Post
          It would be also nice if Unigine brought their engine with some sort of personal license to steam.
          I don't think it will happen. From the sounds of it, they want to avoid having their engine used to make any sub-par content that would give their engine a bad name. Not sure it would be very useful to novices anyhow, from the looks of it there isn't much of anything in the way of useful tools to complement the engine. I also tend to doubt there is much in the way of 3rd party tutorials and documentation to help either since Unigine is still fairly unknown, underused, and over-priced.

Atm though, there isn't much of anything available as far as commercial engine SDK support on Linux; it is a pretty sad state. You either got to go with something like one of the old open-sourced Id engines, or stick to one of the community developed free engines. Ogre is about the only in the free category that looks of much use, with enough documentation and tutorials to make getting started a bit easier then most. Source, Unity, and Unreal all have ports to some extent on Linux now, but their SDKs are still nowhere to be seen on Linux. You can potentially run them through a vm or Wine, but neither option is really ideal.
          Last edited by IanS; 12 April 2013, 03:41 PM.

Comment

I just installed Oilrush on Steam with my KeyCode I got from Avangate when I purchased the game back when it first came out. Vavle is the greatest.

Originally posted by IanS View Post
            I don't think it will happen. From the sounds of it, they want to avoid having their engine used to make any sub-par content that would give their engine a bad name. Not sure it would be very useful to novices anyhow, from the looks of it there isn't much of anything in the way of useful tools to complement the engine. I also tend to doubt there is much in the way of 3rd party tutorials and documentation to help either since Unigine is still fairly unknown, underused, and over-priced.

Atm though, there isn't much of anything available as far as commercial engine SDK support on Linux; it is a pretty sad state. You either got to go with something like one of the old open-sourced Id engines, or stick to one of the community developed free engines. Ogre is about the only in the free category that looks of much use, with enough documentation and tutorials to make getting started a bit easier then most. Source, Unity, and Unreal all have ports to some extent on Linux now, but their SDKs are still nowhere to be seen on Linux. You can potentially run them through a vm or Wine, but neither option is really ideal.
            I run XPPro+Unity4+Chrome(for asset store) on top of VMWare on OpenSuSE 12.3. VMware's "Unity Mode" sometimes becomes flaky and unresponsive when I have Chrome and Unity4 open on the same desktop browsing the asset store. Minimizing or moving one to another desktop seems to fix the issue. Not optimal but it works

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
              I don't think it will happen. From the sounds of it, they want to avoid having their engine used to make any sub-par content that would give their engine a bad name.
              Compared to right now where mentioning "Unigine" to almost any industry game dev just results in a blank look.

Unreal is still considered the best of the best and look at all the crap that hobbyists have put out with UDK, or even the crap that some major studios made. There is no such thing as bad publicity, as the saying goes.

Also note that the sole released game anyone can name using Unigine is possibly about to be utterly eclipsed by World of Warships.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                Compared to right now where mentioning "Unigine" to almost any industry game dev just results in a blank look.

Unreal is still considered the best of the best and look at all the crap that hobbyists have put out with UDK, or even the crap that some major studios made. There is no such thing as bad publicity, as the saying goes.
                I was not saying it makes sense. I just recall reading somewhere that when pressed for a reason for why they don't have some sort of free version available that was the excuse they used. For an engine that wasn't created for use by a specific high profile title, and lacking the accompanying hype and demand, it seems quite the folly to exclude newcomers to game development from their market. People who learn on a specific technology are on average more likely to stick with it rather than go through the hassle of learning something new, a well-learned lesson that keeps Microsoft afloat.

Comment

Hoping that the installer provided by Gameolith gets updated too.

Comment

Originally posted by Debcool View Post
                    Salut,
                    cons:
                    Sadly, it doesn't work on a HD4000 Intel's GPU whatever the graphical option I've choosen. It starts then get back to Steam client. The HD4000 is probably a bit weak for this game.
                    Which do not have OpenGL 3.2 Core profile yet...

Lets give Intel devs some time. Duno if OilRush team cooped with Intel gpu driver team on improving their products..

Comment

Working...
                    X