Creative Gives In, They Open-Source Their X-Fi Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too little, too late.

I will not support Creative anymore, no matter what they'll do. Hope 'em die soon and their successor won't be that stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by radzh View Post
      Too little, too late.

I will not support Creative anymore, no matter what they'll do. Hope 'em die soon and their successor won't be that stupid.
      Not that creative dont deserve some knocking due to their terrible support but if your going to go around avoiding companies that have ever shunned linux you may as well build your computer out of cardboard and macaroni.

Comment

Too little, too late.

I concur 100%. I personally refuse to touch a creative product ever.

Comment

I wish you good luck touching no hardware with questionable Linux support if you wish to do high quality and high performance sound programming ( aka games ). If you only require a mediocre sound solution then there are many around but if you need something worth the trouble then simply saying "no" to such companies is a problem.

Now that the drivers are open I expect some better drivers in the near future. Just hoping the team forming around this driver won't be as moronic as some other OS teams.

And yes, I have an X-Fi in my development rig and yes I knew that Linux support is most probably going to take a lot of time. This is why I have two cards... X-Fi for when I develop under Windows and another for Linux ( not as good, but 3D sound I can develop on Windows if required ).

Comment

Originally posted by pfunkman View Post
            Not that creative dont deserve some knocking due to their terrible support but if your going to go around avoiding companies that have ever shunned linux you may as well build your computer out of cardboard and macaroni.
            You know, i don't really care. They don't care 'bout me, i don't care 'bout them.

Creative is dying. Going GPL is kinda desperate measure for them, and not some kind of good will. So i'm glad them dying. Anyone so ignorant and unrespectful to customers should stay six feet under.

Now tell me more about those cardboards, i'm oh so scared.

Comment

You know, i don't really care. They don't care 'bout me, i don't care 'bout them.

Creative is dying. Going GPL is kinda desperate measure for them, and not some kind of good will. So i'm glad them dying. Anyone so ignorant and unrespectful to customers should stay six feet under.

Now tell me more about those cardboards, i'm oh so scared.
              Creative can simply fire most of their employees and keep going for many years just off patent royalties alone. They won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by spikestabber View Post
                Creative can simply fire most of their employees and keep going for many years just off patent royalties alone. They won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
                It's all the same to me, as long as nobody ever will make us Linux users feel like second-class customers.

Comment

So... sales were slow or what?

I'm still never ever going to buy a Creative card.

I bought the X-Fi Platinum when it first came out, returned it the next day.

I'm really annoyed at the way they treated the Linux community. ATi gets away with it, because you can never really use the card to its full potential on Linux, cos there are no games or hardcore CAD apps. But with soundcards, Linux has support for multichannel audio, recording, mixing etc.. so we can use the card to its full potential.

I'll only reconsider Creative, if they can make something twice as good as the Maudio1010 and at half the price.

Comment

I for one am glad they did something that will probably produce some beneficial, though far from optimal results. Took long enough, though... Can you say EPIC FAIL?

Speaking of EPIC FAIL...
                    Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    Creative's not making money anyway, so they don't have much to lose. At least this makes their fanboys happy. I can't believe how many Linux users own X-fi's, considering how horrible the support is, but apparently some people are happy making ill-informed purchases and being brand slaves.
                    Creative, whether they are making money or not DID make a great product, and they called that product the X-Fi. A lot of people, not just "fanboys" bought one and saw/see real-world improvements in their gaming. You know, that thing that Linux fails miserably at, in every conceivable sense of the word (I can't alt-tab? wtf?). These people get a real kick out of life, they don't care so much about "FOSS" that they boycott actually useful and beneficial products just 'cuz the company behind it won't open-source their trade secrets. Quit your god damn trolling and go thread crap somewhere else, FOSStard.

That's enough out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by pfunkman View Post
                      The ALC888 is a good chip but a properly working Xfi sounds far better and has no interference from the MOBO. So saying it only makes sense for games is really not true.
                      That's one of those never ending discussions.

Comment

Working...
                      X