Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humble Jumbo Bundle 2 Shafts Linux Gamers

Phoronix: Humble Jumbo Bundle 2 Shafts Linux Gamers

The Humble Jumbo Bundle 2 was just announced with "$210 worth of awesome games" that can be found on Steam, but before Linux gamers get too excited, they're mostly left in the dust...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If its on Steam it might aswell not exist, why would I feed those leeches at Valve who are just concerned about grabbing money?

Comment

It's an option for you to redeem steam keys. You can play the games without steam.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
        If its on Steam it might aswell not exist, why would I feed those leeches at Valve who are just concerned about grabbing money?
        This is the type of comment holding back developers from supporting Linux IMO. Valve is one of the most loved companies in gaming for how great they support their fans and customers. If they can't win over the Linux community, why should any other developer bother?

Comment

...because if it weren't for them, we wouldn't get anywhere near as many games native to linux, and in turn, more dedicated attention toward GPU drivers? Just because a company wants to turn a profit it doesn't mean they should automatically be hated. Seriously, linux didn't get to where it is today purely by community efforts. Many of you don't realize that most changes to the kernel are by paid developers - I'm sure some are even from Valve.

Comment

I'm really disappointed with the Humble Bundles.
            They used to represent DRM-free, cross-platform games.

But now it's just barely cross-platform...
            In that specific case, money is a bad driver.

Comment

Well only the Humble INDIE bundle, ever required compatibility across the 3 platform.

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
                Well only the Humble INDIE bundle, ever required compatibility across the 3 platform.
                The last indie bundle was a year ago. I think we can say they clearly don't want to do more now.

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
                  This is the type of comment holding back developers from supporting Linux IMO. Valve is one of the most loved companies in gaming for how great they support their fans and customers. If they can't win over the Linux community, why should any other developer bother?
                  Support, with what...
                  The last game they created was HL2 and its episodes, the rest was just a cash grab. I really dont understand the support they get. EA is often flamed but atleast they put out and fund games, sometimes even rather problematic ones that arent guaranteed sellers.
                  Developers often sell their games in their own store, http://www.uberent.com/pa/ - why would anyone pay a tax on top of it, if the game is available on http://www.gog.com/ why would anyone not buy it there and freaking own it (besides they atleast make sure the old games work)?

The only reason to start up Steam is if you have some games eclusive to it, and I simply dont understand why its accepted that eg. Portal 2 isnt available anywhere else. But yeah its Valve... for some reason this is fine.

Comment

Support, with what...
                    The last game they created was HL2 and its episodes, the rest was just a cash grab. I really dont understand the support they get. EA is often flamed but atleast they put out and fund games, sometimes even rather problematic ones that arent guaranteed sellers.
                    Shows how little you know, considering there was also TF2, L4D 1 and 2, Portals 1 and 2, DOTA2, and probably a couple others I can't think of. Besides that, Steam is more than just a DRM, and they're also creating a game controller which they appear to be putting a lot of dedication toward. A linux friendly one at that. Stuff like this doesn't invest itself.
                    Developers often sell their games in their own store, http://www.uberent.com/pa/ - why would anyone pay a tax on top of it, if the game is available on http://www.gog.com/ why would anyone not buy it there and freaking own it (besides they atleast make sure the old games work)?
                    Sometimes tax evasion doesn't work to well for companies. Besides that, if a game is available outside of Steam and you don't want to use Steam, then don't buy it on steam. Personally, I like having the option of all of my games being concentrated in 1 place with automatic updates.
                    The only reason to start up Steam is if you have some games eclusive to it, and I simply dont understand why its accepted that eg. Portal 2 isnt available anywhere else. But yeah its Valve... for some reason this is fine.
                    It's their IP, they can do whatever they want with it. That's like asking why Nintendo doesn't allow Mario or Zelda games on any other system.

Seriously, you're trying way too hard to hate.

Comment

Working...
                    X