Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org 7.5 Release Schedule Revised For July

Phoronix: X.Org 7.5 Release Schedule Revised For July

X.Org 7.5 with the X Server 1.7 release was planned for release at the start of this month, but sadly they far from made it -- no test releases of the new X Server are even available yet. Though after reading Phoronix, Daniel Stone remembered this release schedule and has decided to give another try at X.Org 7.5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've heard that Xserver 1.7 has EXA improvements that are especially beneficial for KDE4. Does anyone know sth. about it or other EXA improvements made? And if this was true, do DDX drivers have to adopt those changes or does it work with just upgrading the Xserver?

Comment

It's frequently mentioned here that X.Org releases are always behind schedule. It almost feels like you're picking on them! I'm sure there are plenty of other high profile projects that are even more behind schedule. I only mention this because if it weren't for Phoronix, I wouldn't even notice. I am really looking forward to MPX but I don't mind waiting if it means getting things right. Have patience!

Comment

I think the problem is that xorg releases have schedules, unlike most of the other projects
        Test signature

Comment

Maybe they should use nVidia's tactic of releasing "beta" versions every 48-96 hours. It seems to fool the right people...

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            It's frequently mentioned here that X.Org releases are always behind schedule. It almost feels like you're picking on them!
            It's not a matter at all of "picking on them", but to draw attention to the problem at hand so that hopefully it gets corrected. For such a critical piece of a free software ecosystem, to have their release schedule be easily thrown off by months easily and the lack of communication that takes place, it's a problem. If the GNOME 2.26 or Linux 2.6.29 release schedules had went off severely and were unannounced, distribution vendors, users, and other stakeholders would likely have a fit. Heck, remember Ubuntu 8.04 LTS shipping with an X Server release candidate?
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS also has mplayer 1.0 RC2, and unreleased ffmpeg. Of course these projects aren't as important as X.Org or Linux kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                Ubuntu 8.04 LTS also has mplayer 1.0 RC2, and unreleased ffmpeg. Of course these projects aren't as important as X.Org or Linux kernel.
                Maplyer and ffmpeg never have releases

Comment

i know it's almost never right to throw money at a problem, but i think we should all donate a few bucks to these people. i know their problem is mainly man power though.... money should increase some motivation at least. or we could donate a little when the release comes out

Comment

Originally posted by portets43 View Post
                    i know it's almost never right to throw money at a problem, but i think we should all donate a few bucks to these people. i know their problem is mainly man power though.... money should increase some motivation at least. or we could donate a little when the release comes out
                    A while ago I talked to some developers about offering up a bounty if they can release on schedule, but they didn't seem to be interested. Granted, most of these developers are already paid to work on X full-time.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X